Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Hamsters and Soil

Discussion in 'Small Animal Chat' started by Sharpie4, Jun 21, 2020.

1. Sharpie4

Sharpie4 PetForums Newbie

Hi all,

I was just interested to hear people opinions, thoughts and experience with using soil for their hamsters.

I’m thinking of dividing a small sections of my hamsters home for soil. I let him explore it for a little home and whilst digging he sneezed a lot.
    Now I know he sneezed because he got dirt up his nose but is this okay? is the soil too dusty? (It’s a reptile soil).
    Will he be alright to have a soil section permanently?

Thanks!

2. Engel98

Engel98 PetForums Senior

What soil have you used? I use Coco coir and leave it in there as a permanent fixture. It does need hanging out a lot though because of the smell from moisture/urine

3. Sharpie4

Sharpie4 PetForums Newbie

So I ended up getting one called ‘Crestie life’ as it was recommended, now that I’ve added a sand bath and lots of toys, etc he hadn’t been digging as much in the soil as he loves the sand bath, I’ve yet to hear to him sneezing since I tested it.
    The Coco coir looks quite good, I may try that next time.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice