Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Hamster with obsessive cardboard chewing?

Discussion in 'Rodents' started by Nyah626, Aug 13, 2019.

1. Nyah626

Nyah626 PetForums Member

My hamster Toffee, really loves chewing things, especially cardboard, like, REALLY loves to chew cardboard. I give her wood chews, dog biscuits, whimseys chews and lots of cardboard, corrogated and toilet tubes most of the time. But I recently decided to give her an entire section of her detolf cage for sand for her to enjoy and i used cardboard to separate the bedding and sand areas. But she keept destroying the barrier and creating a huge mess so today I moved the sand to the other end of the cage and made the barrier 3 pieces of cardboard thick. I give her plenty of chews and attention but she STILL chews at the cardboard barrier!! It's only a matter of time before she destroys this one too so i was wondering if there was any way to deter her from chewing at it. Any ideas??

Attached Files:

2. ForestWomble

ForestWomble PetForums VIP

You can't stop a hamster from chewing cardboard.

You could use something else to form the barrier - bendy bridges for example.

Hope this helps.

3. Engel98

Engel98 PetForums Member

It's normal I'm afraid and you'll probably find that they'll prefer one material over the over. My one rat preferred wood toys and cardboard but the other only liked loofah

4. Nyah626

Nyah626 PetForums Member

She's made a mess in her sand, as she's decided to nest in her sand no matter where I've put it but the barrier I've made seems to be holding up well enough so that's the best I can ask of her; if she wants to nest in her sand section I can't really do much about it :p

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice