Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Hamster with a sore mouth and nose....

Discussion in 'Rodents' started by Kittenfostermummy, Apr 14, 2015.

1. Kittenfostermummy

Kittenfostermummy PetForums VIP

Tinsel is in a bin cage that I have made and has been in it for almost 6 months now with no issues.

However I recently had surgery and haven't been able to get her out and handle as much so she has really started to bar chew on the chicken wire on the lid. In the last couple of days I have noticed the sides of her mouth have become sore (I am guessing from chewing on the wire) and now I have noticed her nose is looking sore as well!

I am not too sure what to do, I could take her to get checked out in work tomorrow that is not a problem but I don't think there is much we can do medically.

The problem is what can I do?!?! The only thing I can think of is put her in the TINY hospital cage (that is barred but plastic coated bars unlike the chicken wire of her bin cage) until her mouth heals, and make sure I take her out each evening again from now on so she is not as bored and therefore hopefully not going to bar chew as much!??

What would you guys advise?!?!

2. Amelia66

Amelia66 PetForums VIP

give her lots of outside exersize, buy her some new toys and chews to keep her occupied. making a taller bin cage where she cant reach the bars will help or wrapping cardboard or sissal rope around them may help her mouth.

3. blade100

blade100 PetForums VIP

Syrians need floor space than height.
    Personally if I had the money if buy her a new cage from zooplus just incase it happens again. Now she's started to chew she may continue even with new toys and time out the cage.

4. Kittenfostermummy

Kittenfostermummy PetForums VIP

She is currently in a 62ltr tub this one: Crystal Storage Box with Lid Clear 62ltr at wilko.com

I am planning to get another one to have two levels meaning double the floor space almost for her.

I will do the second level and have her out each night again (I had her out every night before op but since then it has been difficult) and hope this helps otherwise I will need to save up for a new cage but wouldn't know whether to risk getting a barred cage with the view that at least the bars on them are plastic coated or what?!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice