Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Hamster water bottle v.s bowl

Discussion in 'Small Animal Chat' started by hamsterlover123, Mar 20, 2021.

1. hamsterlover123

hamsterlover123 PetForums Junior

Hey guys! ;)
    I got a hamster less than I week ago and I constantly have to fix her water bottle at an angle.
    She lives in a tank and I am afraid that she can't access her water when she needs to. Her water bottle is connected by velcro.
    I was wondering if a water bowl would be a bit better. I clean her water bottle every 1-3 days so I would have no problem replacing the water frequently.
    She also tips over her food bowl when she is done and I am afraid she would do this with water when it is filled.
    Any advice?
    (#first post)

2. Thea_SRA27

Thea_SRA27 Thea

Hi!
    I have gerbils but I only give them a water bottle. Using a water bowl is fine though too. If you're worried I would suggest using both - not just a water bowl as your hamster may get confused. The problem with water bowls is that they may kick bedding into the bowl.
    I suggest that if you do use a water bowl, use a small ceramic or glass one, that way it will be too heavy for her to tip over.
    You don't have to do this but on the food subject - I highly recommend scatter feeding rather than using a bowl, it encourages natural behaviours of foraging and lowers the risk of them becoming overweight because they have to search for their food rather than just sitting in a bowl and eating continually.

You sound like a great owner by the way, many people don't have any of these concerns at all! :)

3. Knighterist

Knighterist PetForums Member

As Thea said bowl and bottle would ensure that your hammy would have access to water. I use bottle only because I have tried bowl and bottle before and my hamster considered the bowl and inconvenience than source of water and just kicked stuff into it instead so I stuck to bottle.

Thea_SRA27 likes this.
  4. hamsterlover123

hamsterlover123 PetForums Junior

Thank you for the advice! I scatter feed a part of her food, but I am afraid she won't find her food since I got her recently. I might change to just scatter feeding later :).
    My hammy moves her bedding and stuff everywhere so I might raise her water bowl a bit!
    :Cat

Thea_SRA27 likes this.
  5. Knighterist

Knighterist PetForums Member

I have also tried the clip on bowls that sit on a wire hoop that was quite secured and won't tip over, but my wire cage made it too high up for him to sip from.
    I think hamsters are quite resourceful so don't worry too much about full scatter feed :) they'll have fun finding the food

hamsterlover123 likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice