Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

hamster treats (insects)

Discussion in 'Small Animal Chat' started by ....zoe...., Aug 9, 2009.

1. ....zoe....

....zoe.... PetForums VIP

i was just wondering how many people on her have ever tried their dwarf and syrian hamsters with crickets / locusts and mealworms ?

all of my 6 hamsters get gut loaded crickets, locusts and mealworms (especially at pregnant times and lactating periods)

i believe that treats like these are much more natural and provide mental enrichment for my hamsters. they always seem to enjoy trying to chase the crickets and locusts round their cages and then eating them.

2. Nicky09

Nicky09 PetForums VIP

I've never tried it but apparently they are good for them as long as you only give one or two every 1 or 2 weeks. I might try them with Thea see what she thinks.

3. ....zoe....

well i will admit that i give them more often than that, hehe probs bout 4 times per week :cool:

but i only feed them their hamster food in rationed amounts and try to wait till their bowls are nearly empty until i give them more food so their not really over fed although one of my females may be needing to go on a diet soon as she seems to have piled the pounds on in the last 3 weeks :confused:

not sure why :p but shes healthy and active

i would suggest giving them a go its really funny to watch them trying to get the crickets. i would say that if you try them with locusts, take the two hopper legs off them as they try to hit them hamster in the face with these legs and it can be a little bit dangerous. so i remove them. but very rarely do they get locust and its mainly my syrian that gets them not the dwarfs.

4. Nicky09

Nicky09 PetForums VIP

Ok I think our pet shop sells crickets for lizards so I'll see what she thinks

5. ....zoe....

:eek: i just noticed that you personal message says your having twins hehe

ive got twin brothers

do you know what your having ??? boys/girls ?

soz bwt personal questions

6. Nicky09

Nicky09 PetForums VIP

A boy and a girl according to the scan. Don't worry about asking questions.

7. ....zoe....

aww very nice, good luck with them. my mum says that girls were much easier lol :smilewinkgrin:

8. Marcia

Marcia PetForums VIP

I give the gerbils mealworms but not crickets or locusts :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice