Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Hamster - skin marking? Help

Discussion in 'Rodents' started by Naomihs, Feb 24, 2021.

1. Naomihs

Naomihs PetForums Newbie

So - I’ve been the vet a few times with Pea over the last few weeks. He is losing fur around the eyes, stomach and back, and I noticed he has some dry skin. He was treated with ivermectin under suspicion of mites but nothing has changed. He doesn’t seem to be itching more than normal, drinking 10-15ml of water per day, super active spending hours on his wheel, eating normally. But still dry skin and losing fur. I also noticed lots of tiny dark markings on his skin (not the scent glands). I thought they were mites but it’s flat to the skin and they don’t come off. Is it age spots? Cushings? Contacted the vet but they’re not super experienced with hamsters. Wondering if anyone knew what these could be. Thank you from me and Pea

Attached Files:

2. I’m sorry, I am not as experienced with hamster illnesses as I am with other areas of hamster care. But what I can tell you is that I have owned a lot of small animals. And with all of them, when they were seriously ill they were very lethargic and were not eating or drinking, so if he is acting normally it is unlikely to be very bad. So I just wanted to give you some reassurance, of course it’s not for certain as all illnesses are different and they affect the animal in different ways. I suggest doing some research to see if you can find anything similar. I will do some research for you and tell you what I find. I hope Pea is ok:)
    I have done some research and what I found that it is natural for hamsters to lose fur if they are old, their skin does naturally have marks on it and they may have always been their but you have never seen them until he lost fur. However the internet is not always right so I would wait til someone else comments before making a conclusion.

#2 Deleted member 1510141, Feb 24, 2021
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 24, 2021
    Knighterist likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice