Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Hamster not well :( please help

Discussion in 'Rodents' started by amz543@hotmail.com, Jul 5, 2009.

1. amz543@hotmail.com

amz543@hotmail.com PetForums Junior

My syrian keeps scratching and rubbing herself all over the cage and running around frantically. I took her to the vets a while back ( 2 or 3 weeks ago) and he said she was allergic to the woodchavings so i only must use the safe soft bedding which i have done since i went to the vets. He gave her some drops and went back the following week to repeat the drops.
    I have just noticed she is doing it again, could it be something else?
    Also she seems to go in a corner of the cage and just randomly push her head to the edge of the bars like she is sniffing and just llie there. its not like her. Can anyone help?

2. Marcia

Marcia PetForums VIP

She could be a bit uncomfortable due to the heat. It might explain why she is pushing herself up against the bars, maybe she's trying to cool down? :)

3. Neza

Neza PetForums VIP

If there are no physical symptoms yet, then yes, it could be the temperature. You should consult your vet if you think it's that serious.

4. Lavenderb

Lavenderb PetForums VIP

It might also be mites. If she will let you, then hold her on her back and run your fingers against her fur so you can see her skin. Do the same on her back. Check for mites and also the colour of the skin. Does it look flaky.

5. thedogsmother

thedogsmother PetForums VIP

If it is happening just after a cage clean she could be re-marking the cage with her scent, my old hammy Buffy does this and apparently its not normal for girls, but hey thats Buffy for you. If you touch her back end does she stick her tail straight up, she could be in season. If you are at all worried about her being ill though I would go back to the vet or at least ring them as small animals can go downhill very quickly when they get ill.

6. CreativeLC

CreativeLC PetForums VIP

It sounds like she might be itchy, maybe due to heat or perhaps fleas

7. Gobaith

Gobaith PetForums VIP

If your in doubt i would take the hammy back to the vets.
    The problem may only be small but it'll put your mind at ease :)

Chloe x

8. Tigerneko

Tigerneko PetForums VIP

if you think it is the heat, you can buy cooling blocks either on the internet or from some pet shops, I think they're made of marble, and you put them in the cage and the animal lies down on it to cool off.... my friend has one for her rats and they love it :)

9. thedogsmother

thedogsmother PetForums VIP

A ceramic tile is good as well, pop it in the freezer for a bit then put it in the cage, my lot like to flake out on them:D.

10. Neza

Neza PetForums VIP

^That's an excellent idea, the tile trick. I'm going to borrow that if you don't mind. :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice