Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Hamster in heat question?

Discussion in 'Rodents' started by niki87, May 13, 2010.

1. niki87

niki87 PetForums VIP

Hi, I just wanted to know peoples' experiences basically. My Roma (syrian) is about 14 months old. About 2 months ago I adopted a very handsome male, Charlie.

Now the night I bought him home, I took him upstairs where I keep them, and Roma suddenly went CRAZY! Running around, climbing, falling! I got her out and put her near his cage as they simply started snogging lol! Then she goes still and flat...and she resumed mating position lol.

Ok so she was obviously in heat. Since then she has again and again...I put her in another empty cage while I cleaned hers...and she climbed the bars...then fell...then climbed them...then fell...over and over!! She seriosuly goes crazy. Does anyone else notice this in females?

However the real question is...I can honestly say that I have NEVER noticed it before I got a male. Can the presence of a male spark it off? Or was I just never around at the "right" time lol?

I was trying to take pics for the "show me your hamsters" thread...and I took Charlie's first...then Roma...and from being quite calm in the cage she started sniffing my hands....then went crazy!!!

2. Myth

Myth PetForums Member

In a word yes.

Same goes for males going crazy running around when they can smell a female in heat. One of my ladies calls out when she's in the mood which sets of a chorus of replies from the lads. Have moved her over the other side of the room as she was driving poor boy Thunder crazy with desire :lol:

I find is mostly the males who are interested in sniffing and licking of hands if you've been handling a female before them.

3. momentofmadness

momentofmadness PetForums VIP

One word... TART!!!!!

haha My chewie when let out always goes to Freds cage.. she climbs up a few things then scales his cage.. I have to drag her away..lol Where as Princess Neeco really dislikes him... Everyone wanted babies from her.. But she wasn't having any of it..lol I think she bats for the other team..lol

4. niki87

niki87 PetForums VIP

Lol!!! Ok yeah Charlie goes mad if ive been holding Roma first...sniff sniff sniffing!!! Lol!!!

Lol Chewie...you tease!!!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice