Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Hamster Help

Discussion in 'Rodents' started by sarahland27, May 19, 2010.

1. sarahland27

sarahland27 PetForums Newbie

Hi, hope you all well.

I "inherited" a Syrian Hamster last year and, without going in to too much detail, she "appeared" in the bathroom of a flat I am renting. She is lovely, called her Boots. I have had a bit of experience with Hamsters but not a lot.

She has a fab home, very tall so she can climb and she is spoilt.

She has a play ball and I wanted to know whether she is able to run around in this outside as I feel sad that she is always couped up and not able to experience fresh air. I overlook a very large field which is covered in daisies and dogs frequently are walked and I am worried that "things" on the ground might be a threat to Boots.

Can anyone help with this?

Thanks.

2. Flissy

Flissy PetForums VIP

I wouldn't take her outside - I don't think they really benefit from fresh air and the sunlight might be a bit too bright for her as they are nocturnal so wouldn't be out during the day.

Well done for rescuing her - there isn't someone in your building who is missing a hamster is there?

3. happysaz133

happysaz133 PetForums VIP

I take my hamsters in the garden, never in their balls, just wandering loose. However I know whats been in my garden, and know nothing could be picked up from the grass or infect them. I wouldn't do it elsewhere.

4. sarahland27

sarahland27 PetForums Newbie

Thanks for your help. As I did not get Boots as a "baby" she is very timid and not very tame. She will let me pick her up and we have cuddles but I do not think I would be able to trust her to go outside without her ball. I don't like putting her in that thing anyway but she has fast feet and I am worried that she will disappear somewhere, after all, she did that once before and ended up with me, a strict vegetarian animal lover. I don't even known how old she is.:confused1:

#4 sarahland27, May 20, 2010
    Last edited: May 20, 2010
  5. niki87

niki87 PetForums VIP

I would not allow my hamsters out...partly cos i do not know whats been there...or what will come in!! And my Syrians particularly are brilliant escapologists! But there are harnesses you can get. But I agree with Flissy...I don't think will benefit any more from being outside...than a big play in the house! xx

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice