Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Hamster help - sniffling?

Discussion in 'Rodents' started by retrocircles, Jan 11, 2008.

1. retrocircles

retrocircles PetForums Newbie

Hello,

I'm new on the boards. *waves*

I got a hamster 2 days ago & I'm unsure about her behaviour. I had hamsters growing up, but don't really remember much about their behaviour. The last time I had a hamster was probably about 10 years ago. This is my first hamster as an adult where all the responsibility is on me. :)

Dotty seems to be settling in well, but she seems to be making a sniffling sound? I'm not sure what it means. She makes it a lot. I'm worried that it is in fact sniffling, which means she may have a cold? Can hamsters catch colds?!

I filmed the noise she makes here:

Hello,

I'm new on the boards. *waves*

I got a hamster 2 days ago & I'm unsure about her behaviour. I had hamsters growing up, but don't really remember much about their behaviour. The last time I had a hamster was probably about 10 years ago. This is my first hamster as an adult where all the responsibility is on me. :)

Dotty seems to be settling in well, but she seems to be making a sniffling sound? I'm not sure what it means. She makes it a lot. I'm worried that it is in fact sniffling, which means she may have a cold? Can hamsters catch colds?!

I filmed the noise she makes here:

YouTube - Hamster 2
    YouTube - dotty - ill?

Any help would be appreciated.

Any help would be appreciated.

2. retrocircles

Could this noise be that she's scared? She seems to make the noise when I'm near her cage, or have it open putting water/food inside.

When I'm doing something else in the room, she doesn't seem to be making this noise at all.

3. xxjackyxx

xxjackyxx PetForums Junior

what substrate/bedding are you using? Might be an idea to get her checked out at the vets as these little creatures can go downhill very quikly

4. retrocircles

it's a non-toxic paper & paper wool flakes.

as the vet isn't open at the weekend, at least i have a couple of days to monitor her. she seems much better with the noise today. i spent the same amount of time this evening hand feeding her a few treats & some of her normal food. only a couple of moments making that noise.

5. Debbie

Debbie PetForums VIP

Maybe it is a noise she makes when shes a little scared - once she gets used to you it may go away but if you are worried I would get her to the vets.....

6. hammy hamster

hammy hamster PetForums Newbie

Hi,
    I think that it will make you both feel better if you pop along to the vets at the earliest convenience.
    Best not take any chances.

Best of luck.:)

7. retrocircles

thing is, if it is stress from moving to our home from the pet store, a vet experience will make her even more scared. if i do that, she'll probably be scarred for life. i'd have no chance in taming her in the near future.

8. xxjackyxx

xxjackyxx PetForums Junior

if she came from a pet store, which would have been from a rodent farm i would definitely get her vet checked

9. retrocircles

this morning i took my camera with the videos on to pets @ home. the manager there was also unsure about what it could be & recommended i see a vet. she agreed that it was good that i didn't bring her to the store. they've said they will reimburse me the cost of the vets appointment, which is great.

10. retrocircles

well i took dotty to the vets on monday evening. she was fine. no wet tail, no cold/flu, nose is dry, and her lungs are as clean as a whistle. the vet agreed the noise she makes is pure fear. she's petrified.

the trip to the vets didn't help. she shot out of the vets hands & fell onto the floor. a good 3 foot drop. she's even more scared now.

she used to easily come to me when offering chocolate drop treats. now she doesn't. whenever i go into her room, she wakes up abruptly & hides in her tunnel. sometimes she even sleeps in the tunnel rather than one of 3 bedroom.

now i don't know how to remove this fear!

11. Beadell

Beadell PetForums Newbie

Hi
    You're best to just let her regain your trust by putting your hand in the cage when she's awake, curiosity will get the better of her and she will have to investigate, the worst you can do now is to force yourself on her, I'm sure she'll come round. Also never pick up a Hamster from above..... your hand resembles a bird of prey, always scoop Hammy.
    Good luck, persevere with patience :)

12. rachelp

rachelp PetForums Newbie

Hi there, I got a hamster for Christmas so she is pretty new and she is only just coming round to the idea of being handled. She is still very nervous but is getting better every day. She seems to be much mroe comfortable now that she knows the sound of my voice. Im sure your hamster will come around too.

13. AnimalLoversWeb

AnimalLoversWeb PetForums Junior

Hmmm that was a really weird noise. I thought is sounded like it was coming form the larynx (voice box) rather than the nose and wondered about a particle being lodged there and irritating the vocal cords or even a laryngitis (a particle being morel likely).
    But she did not seem to be breathing rapidly (as she would if actually choking) and seemed quite bright and alert in her self.
    If it is just fear (and I would doubt that) then nothing beats frequent, gentle contact and handling. Get a wire foldable play pen and sit in there with her and let her investigate you at her own pace.
    We have had some timid syrians and they all come around eventually, some just take longer than others.

14. hilary bradshaw

hilary bradshaw PetForums Member

hi! how is she now?

15. hamsterlover259

hamsterlover259 PetForums Newbie

:) IT COULD BE THAT SHES MAKING A CONSTANT TICKING NOISE WHICH MEENS SHE HAPPY OR SHE COULD BE SQUEEKING WHICH MEENS SHE WANTS ATTENTION:);):confused::)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice