Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Hamster Heaven Cage warning

Discussion in 'Rodents' started by thedogsmother, May 27, 2010.

1. thedogsmother

thedogsmother PetForums VIP

Spike (dwarf hammie) lost her leg today after getting it caught between the cage bars and the shelf on the hamster heaven, I just want to warn anyone using this cage for dwarfs to maybe think about removing the shelf or even loosening the screws so that it doesnt fit tightly and cant trap little legs.

2. thedogsmother

Ok now Im fuming, my hamster has been seriously hurt by a cage that wasnt suitable for dwarf hamsters, so I emailed the company and the reply I had back was basically, we never said it was suitable for dwarfs if you read the header card it says its suitable for 'hamsters'... So wtf is a dwarf hamster if it isnt a frickin hamster. I dont want money off them which I think they are terrified of I just want them to warn people against using hamster heavens for dwarfs and they dont give a ****. You should have read the condecending email, "I hope you manage to find a suitable cage so you can enjoy your little pet":mad:

3. blade100

blade100 PetForums VIP

complete cock heads!!!:mad:

how is your lil hammie?

4. thedogsmother

They certainly are, they never even asked how she is. She looks subdued but that could be the vet visit thats scared her a bit, but all in all she looks better than I would if my leg had come off this morning.

5. momentofmadness

momentofmadness PetForums VIP

I hope your hamster is aswell as can be expected.. How awfull.

Re the cage I think i would now email them and tell them you are going to ring the papers regarding this issue so you can warn the millions of hamster people who may buy there cage..

Get well hammie. xxx

6. blade100

blade100 PetForums VIP

its funny how something so small are very good at hiding pain and seem to cope so well unlike us humans.

maybe bathe in salt water also to stop any nasties getting to it and infecting,it will aslo help heel quicker.

7. thedogsmother

Thats a very good idea, I will wait to see what their reply to my last email is but if Im not happy I think I will be calling the papers anyway.

8. carebear

carebear PetForums Senior

email them saying because of their attitude you would like to take things further.
    hope your icle hamie is getting about ok

9. Leah100

Leah100 PetForums Senior

I think hamsters get a raw deal from this whole cage business full stop. How many of us starting out with Syrians bought the teeny useless cages and miniscule wheels that the pet shops said were 'fine'?! :mad:
    They should be under the same obligation to give the 'best care' advice and info for all the products and animals they sell.
    Poor hammie, hope she's ok .

10. momentofmadness

momentofmadness PetForums VIP

I agree totally with this i started out with small cages... But you soon realise they just aint big enough..

TBH I dont think i could find a cage that is really big enough.. seen as hamsters can cover 4 miles a night...
    xxx

11. ashleighhhhh

ashleighhhhh PetForums VIP

Thankies for the warning. I hope little spike is ok!!
    Hopefully Savic put a warning sticker or something on the boxes. When I get my hamster(getting closer everyday!! :D) I'll keep the shelf loose ;)

12. emzybabe

emzybabe PetForums VIP

wow what a heartless company, name and shame its the only way they'll learn, every where you can

i hope she makes a full recovery from this - i would send them the bill any all follow up treatments just to see what they do

13. thedogsmother

They are very lucky because I have so much on my mind right now I dont think Im up to a battle with them too but hopefully people will spread the word and it wont happen to another little hammy, so far it hasnt been a huge bill but she still isnt out of the woods yet (dont think its helping that Im checking her so often:eek:). I will send them one more email and try to get them to redo the wording on their packaging which really is all I am after but I cant imagine they will do.

14. srhdufe

srhdufe PetForums VIP

Poor Spike. I hope she's ok x

I would send them another email saying you are going to the papers, and the local news. They should change the wording on the packaging and at least either offer you a different cage for her or send you some gift vouchers.
    I know it doesnt help her, but it'll give you peace of mind that they are taking it seriously

15. thedogsmother

I will try to get them to change the packaging wording, I dont need any more cages:eek:, tbh I think they thought I was after money off them but all I was worried about is more hamsters being hurt.

16. niki87

niki87 PetForums VIP

Get well soon Spike!! Am glad you thought to write to them though and yes keep on to them!! Good luck! xx

17. thedogsmother

Well Ive sent another email but I havent threatened the press yet, Ive told them that they need to print a warning on the cages and that if the cage is suitable for 'Hamsters@ but not dwarf hamsters then they should print that they mean Syrian hamsters and not 'hamsters' which refers to all hamsters. I also suggested that they sell a cage that is hamster heaven sized but that they think is suitable for dwarfs. I will wait for a reply and keep you updated.

18. myzoo

myzoo PetForums Senior

good on you the dogsmother i hope your hammy is as well as can be expected considering what shes been through if it was me i would sue the ass of them and anything i get donate to animals and the biggest thing like you said do anything to get them to put a warning on the cages and contact everybody they sold cages to too make sure they not using them for dwarfs it just gose to show that theese type of places dont give a damn about the animals wellbeing just filling their pockets goodluck and get well soon lttle hammie

19. flufffluff39

flufffluff39 PetForums VIP

I bought a cage with different floors in it and tubes and such. I let her use it one night and realised it was not suitable as she was moving the second and third floors and moving the ladders. Shes back in her old cage now and much happier :)

20. Tigerneko

Tigerneko PetForums VIP

oh no, poor spike :(

I think the company were completely out of order with you.... big companies like this will rarely take notice of one person unfortunately, only when their sales are affected will they make changes.

hope little spike is feeling better soon....she'll adapt to it just fine, my gerbil has one eye and you wouldn't know it if you watched her digging and playing :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice