Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Hamster food that they actually like all (or most!) of?

Discussion in 'Rodents' started by WeimyLady, Jun 8, 2010.

1. WeimyLady

WeimyLady PetForums Senior

Hello

I've always had Syrian hamsters and all of them have pretty much exclusively left half of their dry mix. I feed Harry Hamster, but have also tried a few other random pet shop brands with the same results; most of it bar the peanuts, pumpkin seeds and sunflower seeds ends up uneaten in the bin. So I guess my question is, is there a brand of hamster food that I am missing that they actually eat most of? or is this normal? it just seems a bit silly buying a bag of it every 2 weeks or so and then wasting most of it.

TIA.

2. K1nS

K1nS PetForums Senior

I have noticed the same with Moon. I know for Smudge I get food that prevents her from being picky (cant remember what its called sorry) maybe you could get something similar for hammies too?

3. niki87

niki87 PetForums VIP

Lol yeah totally agree. You can get pellets which means there is no variety so they can't be picky. But I kind of prefer them being picky but with the variety!! xx

4. momentofmadness

momentofmadness PetForums VIP

LOL Mine don't like wag at all and a few others..
    I now feed [email protected] Hamster muesli.. but had noticed this had changed and mention it to the woman in there.. and she said she had noticed cause hers stopped eating it.. But she did say they were bringing a pellet one out so maybe the Muesli will go back to Muesli.... This week though I bought a Muesli from Wilkinsons and they seem to love it....

5. thedogsmother

thedogsmother PetForums VIP

I get mine from our local pet shop, they mix it themselves and they seem to eat it all, that isnt a lot of help to any other readers though... unless they live in Huddersfield:eek:.

6. Jazzy

Jazzy PetForums VIP

We will have to organise coach trips to Huddersfield now to buy hamster food in bulk.. :lol: :lol:

Our local pet shop used to mix their own too and it was really good and my hamsters really seemed to enjoy it but they have stopped doing it now so I have to buy Harry Hamster. I get it cheaper online though because I order it when I'm ordering guinea pig and rabbit food.

7. thedogsmother

thedogsmother PetForums VIP

The pet shop mix I get is £3 for a huge bag and there isnt loads of those little seeds that they seem to leave. Might actually be worth working out a mix that you can buy the raw ingreadients of and making your own mix up, the pet shop must buy the stuff from somewhere musnt they.

8. dee o gee

dee o gee PetForums VIP

Thankfully my syrian will eat anything and everything I give her, with the exception of one thing only. I get a small bag of 'boredom breakers fresh fruit salad' once in a while and theres one big brown nut in it (looks like a giant turd) that she will spit back out again if she accidently eats it, according to the ingrediants its either a rowen berry or a rose hip? When you break it open its got loads of little hairy seeds in it that she positively hates! Anyone else notice this?
    Im using the burgess food and she seems to love it. When I had dwarfs they were picky and used to leave a lot behind too, mostly the small little seeds.

9. Leah100

Leah100 PetForums Senior

Mine have the Gourmet Feast from Just For Pets, and they love it. Lots of recognisable small chunks of dried fruit and veg and seeds and nuts and a much smaller amount of unidentifiable brown lumps than some mixes..... tried the [email protected] muesli, but they hated it :eek:

10. Marcia

Marcia PetForums VIP

The only way to prevent any rodent from selective feeding is is give the food in a form of pellets, not museli :)
    But you'll find that most rodents pick the bits they like and leave the rest :rolleyes:

11. mee

mee PetForums Member

I dont know if the hamster version is any good but i use supreme science selective for the pouchies and the mice and they love it! and it is a good diet for them and gives them lovely coats,it is a little pricey though compared to most and i have to order it online as i have yet to find it in a pet shop but it is good food so worth it.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice