Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Hamster died out of the blue

Discussion in 'Small Animal Chat' started by Katebook11, Jan 19, 2019.

1. Katebook11

Katebook11 PetForums Newbie

My Syrian hamster Edgar has just died randomly tonight. He was perfectly healthy and playing around yesterday. He was fine yesterday and early this morning, but when I came home this evening he was sleeping in a spot he has never slepted before. He was very limp and cold but still breathing. I held him on a heating pad on low and he would move parts of his body. He then seemed to be almost gagging or gasping for breath and shaking. He then died after about an hour and a half of holding him. Does anyone know what may have happened to him? I have had him less than a month and he is no older than 4 months old. Attached is a photo taken last week.

Attached Files:

2. Tiggers

Tiggers PetForums Senior

I'm sorry for your loss. Where did you acquire your hamster from?

3. ForestWomble

ForestWomble PetForums VIP

I am so sorry to hear of your loss. What type of bedding did you use please?

4. Katebook11

A small loca pet store

5. Katebook11

I believe it is pine. A Petsmart recommendation.

6. ForestWomble

ForestWomble PetForums VIP

Are you sure it was pine? If so I am sorry to say that Pine is dangerous to hamsters, pine contains phenol chemicals that can cause respiratory and liver problems. :(

Did you use anything for nesting? Just what you describe sounds like chocking.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice