Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Hamster Breeding Advice

Discussion in 'Rodents' started by AnimalKingdom, May 19, 2010.

1. AnimalKingdom

AnimalKingdom PetForums Junior

Hiya

My friend wondered what would be the best cage to get for her female syrian, whos shes planning to breed when shes old enough?

Thanks every1
    x:thumbup:

2. Shamen

Shamen Guest

the RSPCA recommend the minimum cage size for a syrian should be 75 x 40 x 40 cm but the larger the better. Breeders usually have their mothers and babies in tank type cages or bin cages.

did your friend get her hamster from a breeder?

3. AnimalKingdom

hiya

thanks for that,, yes she did, She got both hamsters from breeders but not related.
    I think the girl is grey and white banded and boy is white. is this ok?
    x

4. Flissy

Flissy PetForums VIP

I think a good cage would be the duna multy/something similar as it doesn't have bars on the side so the baby hamsters wouldn't escape :D

5. EmzieAngel

EmzieAngel PetForums VIP

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong but...
    The white boy will carry the white gene and it is a possibility that the banded girl might carry this gene if she has a white belly, but not all do.

Unless you know that the girl does not carry the white gene, it is not ideal to breed these two together as you can produce hamsters known as 'Eyeless whites' They will either have poorly formed eyes or no eyes at all.

6. AnimalKingdom

O, I will ask her,

Which is best colour to breed with a grey banded?

7. Shamen

Shamen Guest

i agree with EmzieAngel, thats why you need to contact the breeder to ensure they dont carry the white bellied gene, im surprised your friend hasnt done this already:confused:

8. AnimalKingdom

Hi

My friend has contacted the breeder and he said the boy hamster carries it but the female doesnt and the pair will be okay to breed

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice