Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Hamster Biting

Discussion in 'Rodents' started by ro0by, Jan 27, 2021.

1. ro0by

ro0by PetForums Newbie

Hi! So I got my Syrian hamster a few days ago, he’s about 4 or 5 weeks old. I started putting my hand in his enclosure once he’s awake at night. He seems completely fine with my hand being in there, he even grooms himself right next to my hand, however sometimes he kind of sniffs my hand, licks my finger, and then bites down really hard. It seems almost like he’s curious, but I assume he’s threatened. I’ve tried offering him treats as well but he won’t take them from me. This is my first hamster so I’m looking for some advice on how to help him trust me more.
    Thanks!

2. Hi (even though my username and picture is of a gerbil I am experienced in hamster care) whenever you get a new hamster you must leave him completely alone for at least 4 day. Moving is very stressful for small animals and you need to give them time to settle in. If you did that’s great! Sometimes hamsters will nibble your fingers gently to sort of ‘investigate’ you. However, if he is biting hard (which is normal) it is most likely that he is stressed or scared. When hamsters bite you should leave them alone. If he is new it is very normal for him to be wary of human contact especially if you got him from a pet store. You should start by taming him slowly. Don’t go in and grab him or force contact on him. Start. Slowly. There are some great videos on youtube of how to tame hamsters so I recommend looking that up. I have a syrian hamster who is complete and utterly tamed. I play with him every day when he is awake and he hasn’t bitten for a year and a half. I suggest just keep trying to see if he will take a seed from your hand or just putting your hand near him.

3. ro0by

ro0by PetForums Newbie

Thanks! I left him for a few more days after writing that. He’s taking treats from me if I hand them to him, but doesn’t climb onto my hand to get them yet. Hopefully soon he will! Thanks for the advice. (Side Note, I got him off of kijiji )

4. Hi, that’s great, it sounds like he is adjusting to humans. I don’t live in Canada so I don’t use kijiji but I do know what it is.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice