Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Hamster bin cage help

Discussion in 'Rodents' started by Enzo12, Feb 23, 2021.

1. Enzo12

Enzo12 PetForums Newbie

Hi everyone I am new here and I am hoping someone can give some advice . So my sister got 2 male syrian hamster in a aquarium for them both and put a divider down the middle stoping them from getting to each other but that does mean there little area are not big enough For them. She has one that is naturally tame and one that has bitten her a few times so I have offered to take full care of him hopefully more space and patience will help him become less scared.

so my question is how likely are they to escape a bin cage. The bin I cage I’ve got is 150 liters and the bin is fairly deep so my plan for him is a bin cage and create a mesh or chicken wire roof on top of the lid.
    I have 8 guinea pigs and the best room for my new hamster to live in is with them because the room as overall the best heating and it has the most natural light. So if the bin made probably do you think he couldn’t escape and come in contact with my guinea pigs. And help I would really appreciate :)

2. Gerbil356

Gerbil356 PetForums Member

Hi. First of all, even if you had a divider down the middle, the hamsters will still be able to smell each other and they would have a very stressful life. Secondly, a 150 litre bin cage is not large enough. Hamster need floorspace. I suggest 80 by 50cm for one syrian hamster. I do not recommend bin cages for hamsters. They are not large enough. It is unlikely that the hamster would be able to escape if you built a proper lid out of mesh. But please don’t get one they are not suitable. However whatever you do you must get a new cage for one of the hamsters. I recommend the zoozone 2. It is 100 by 51cm.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice