Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Hammy Question!!!

Discussion in 'Rodents' started by rainbow.nicola, Aug 18, 2009.

1. rainbow.nicola

rainbow.nicola PetForums Member

Hello everyone!

As you all probably know i'm a bit of a noob when it comes to Hamsters and such. I feel abit silly asking buttt i thought better to ask and find out it's nothing than not ask and it might be something =] and you all seem to be somewhat professionals lol!

So here it is. While i'm waiting on my Wodent Wheel to come i'm using the hamster ball with an opening and stand! I didn't want to deprive her of her fav toy!

So when i change her cage i take the wheel out and rinse it in very hot water and towel dry it as i think she may be peeing in it! (you can hear her little feet stick to it lol) and she poo's in it too! (Hard to get out sometimes! lol) But anyway, usually when she pees in it it's clear so you can't tell until you look close! But when i came home today there was a trail of white stuff all around the wheel where she's been running, i was wondering what it was... is it pee? it it something else? it is okay? does she have a problem? is it a mystery? I don't know maybe you can help me :D

Thanks in advance,

Sorry if it's really noobie and i was abit silly to ask! I'd rather know for sure than worry that what i think is wrong lol!:smilewinkgrin:

2. Akai-Chan

Akai-Chan Banned

Have you checked your hammy over to see if she's got any white stuff on her? Particularly check her lady bits and urethra in case it;s something coming from there.

Peace
    Akai-Chan

3. MerlinsMum

MerlinsMum PetForums VIP

Ahh the white stuff is calcium deposit - hamsters and rabbits wherever they pee tend to leave this, it's like limescale. White vinegar will get it off.

4. rainbow.nicola

I went up and had a wee look she doesn't seem to have anything on her. She also moved her bed to a house thing i have upstairs early this morning (around 9am). I put her house at the bottom when i got home so it was abit warmer and it was abit went on the cardboard under the bed (she may have pee'd though) she's known for doing the loo in her house and everywhere else. She had a wee wet patch on her when i went in earlier and when i moved her house and changed her bedding i thought she had just pee'd so it would be pee or water from her bottle.

=\

5. rainbow.nicola

The little wet bit was on her side, if that makes any difference..?

=\

6. Akai-Chan

Akai-Chan Banned

Surely though if she's washing it off often it wouldn't leave the calcium deposit? I'm pretty sure that the calcium deposits only happen when the area in question isn;t cleaned enough :)

Peace
    Akai-Chan

7. rainbow.nicola

Hmm, i washed it last night, i usually rinse it everyday and towel dry it.

8. MerlinsMum

MerlinsMum PetForums VIP

I am sure she is fine.

9. rainbow.nicola

I just had a quick browse of the web and found something saying when Hamster are in heat they produce white fluid (discharge) so it may also be that.

10. thedogsmother

thedogsmother PetForums VIP

Female hamsters that are still fertile produce a substance when they are in heat, it can look a bit like pus so can sometimes be confused with a urine or womb infection, however female hamsters are also prone to urine/womb infections which can quickly become very serious so if you are at all worried about her I would take her and the ball to the vets for them to have a look at. Don't worry about asking whatever questions you think of either, glad to help.

11. Akai-Chan

Akai-Chan Banned

That's why I was saying pay attention to her lady bits :p

I;d say ring up the vets for some advice and see what they say :)

Peace
    Akai-Chan

12. rainbow.nicola

Hmm, She's a clean little hammy and the white stuff was dried in so i think i'll keep an eye on her and check her ball tomorrow morning. There seemed like quite alot of white stuff then again it might have just been spinning so much that it managed to go everywhere and roll right around.

Any ideas why she moved her bed? She got up about 8am and took most of her bedding bit by bit out of her coconut house and up two platforms to her other toy house. I thought maybe it might be because her house is bigger and a bit more enclosed.

13. Akai-Chan

Akai-Chan Banned

Hamsters do that... My hammy stays in his pod but a hammy I used to have moved her bed all the time. They just do that :)

Peace
    Akai-Chan

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice