Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Halti Help

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by Olly's Mum, May 21, 2010.

1. Olly's Mum

Olly's Mum PetForums Member

Any tips on getting my dog used to his halti? Ive tried distracting him with food, etc but nothings working, I thought once we got on a walk he would forget about it and enjoy the smells but no he spends the whole time trying to claw it off his face. :(

2. Bearpaw

Bearpaw PetForums VIP

Its fairly normal for them to try and get it off .Its just a case of persevering.If your dog is actually taking it off,try using a regular lead as well,until you are sure he will keep the halti on.Keep moving,so he doesnt get chance to raise his paws to scratch it off,run if you have to!!

3. Colliepoodle

Colliepoodle PetForums VIP

As with muzzles, it's best to acclimatise them to things like headcollars gradually. Maybe put it on just before you feed her, so she builds up a good association to it.

I taught my dog to accept a muzzle using a clicker - after a couple of days she was eagerly thrusting her nose into it in order to get a C/T. Then I built up to actually putting it on, treating her and taking it off, then extending the time she had it on.

4. Olly's Mum

Olly's Mum PetForums Member

Will do, Thanks for the advice. Looks like its just practice then!! :)

5. kaisa624

kaisa624 PetForums VIP

I've never had problems with putting halti's on dogs. However as colliepoole said, treat him, and get him used to it.

6. Colliepoodle

Colliepoodle PetForums VIP

Years ago when I first used a Halti, I knew nothing of introducing it properly. I just bunged it on. My dog didn't like it at first but just got used to it; some dogs accept things more readily than others and of course the fact that it tends to be put on just before a walk helps to teach them that Halti = Nice Thing :)

Some dogs though need a bit more help :)

7. Jasper's Bloke

Jasper's Bloke PetForums VIP

Try feeding a treat from your hand with the hand through the Halti, although he doesn't wear it anymore my dog got to the point where he would pop his nose into it as soon as it was put in front of his face.

Having said that, he would still try to get it off whenever he could. Distraction is the key, make it lots of fun and take it slowly, they soon get the message that it doesn't stop them from doing what they want to do.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice