Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Halti control advice...

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by Lee-Anne, Apr 2, 2011.

1. Lee-Anne

Lee-Anne PetForums Newbie

Hi, new here been reading through a few things see a lot of different views on dog handling however I have a dalmation who isnt that strong shes quite small but still pulls on the lead it is more annoying than hard to handle but I decided to get her a halti a few months ago everything was fine worked great but unlike my other dogs halti it didnt have an attachement bit linking it to her collar and last week this is the first time it has happened she somehow managed to slip out of her halti right next to a busy road and got hit by a car lucky enough traffic was slow and didnt hit her to bad she had a few cuts and a small fracture in one of her toes still horrible to see and I have put her halti in the bin so looking to see if there are any alternatives not just for her but my other dog he is a bigger dog and strong with a normal lead and collar his halti had the attached bit to collar and he has never managed to slip out it however he has a few issues when he sees some other dogs and jumps about mad im worried sometimes that he will wriggle out of it doesnt give me much confidence as sometimes its slipped down to tip of his nose, he doesnt do this all the time hes tempremental mostly with small dogs I think he can sense if they are unfriendly he has had some training and walks to heel its just recent issue with some dogs makes him hard to handle.

Someone recommended a slip lead but i see some people saying that they can slip down or off as well wondering what peoples thoughts are??

2. shells

shells PetForums VIP

i am have no advice sorry but am glad your girl is ok after what hapend. i use the halti with buster and he has got out of his a few times but his has the bit that ataches to the collar so its not bn a big issue for me. i hope you sort something out. xx

3. Lee-Anne

Thanks I have thought about getting the attachment bit but it doesnt seem to be very strong always wondered if he did get it off and got a good run the thing might snap little clip isnt very big or strong looking, would probably be ok for my dalmation she isnt strong but I have used a normal collar on her for years so could go back to that for safety as soon as I am in a area able to she gets off the lead anyway

4. Fleur

Fleur Vassal to Lilly and Ludo

I slip lead is no good for a dog that pulls a lot as you'll risk him practically strangling himself.

How about a double ended lead - one part cliped to the collar and the other on the halti?

The little attachements are very good though.

I hope your boy heals quickly - it must of been very frightening for you both.

5. NoSpecialFeaturesHere

NoSpecialFeaturesHere PetForums Senior

I'm so sorry that happened to your poor dog, that must have been terrifying for you both. Made my stomach turn over just reading it! I hope she's doing okay.

I can understand why you'd be dubious about using one again. I've used one for years on one of my dogs for the extra security, and I couldn't be without it when walking on the streets, but there has been times in the past when he's broken clean through it. Luckily when he was at his worst I used to have a slip lead on him for extra extra security! lol.

You might want to look into getting a harness. You can just use a regular collar or the Halti, but also have a loose lead on the harness too, so that if the worst should happen and s/he breaks the Halti and the link or the lead or whatever, you've still got hold of the harness.

Good luck. I wish you nice peaceful walks from now on. :) x

6. RobD-BCactive

RobD-BCactive PetForums VIP

If you are talking about head type collars many ppl have recommended Canny Collars.

I used a Halti anti-pull harness and would not have used it without the clip to the flat collar, as that was part of the integrity of the system providing safety with a reactive dog. If you are using front clip or double harness to control pulling rather than head collar, then ensure it remains fitted properly according to the directions; they should be safe then.

A good idea is Fluer's suggestion which has featured in Victoria Stillwell's show, to use a double ended lead allowing control via head to avoid pulling, but have the security of the fall back of the traditional collar.

You may be able to teach comfortable walking better by seperating the dogs for training sessions and on-leash walks for a while, unless you can get some help to walk one of the dogs.

7. Dogless

Dogless PetForums VIP

I and quite a few on here have a Dogmatic headcollar (lots of threads on here if you search) Dogmatic Headcollar. I have a double - ended lead and clip one end to Kilo's collar and one to the dogmatic for safety. It is more expensive than most headcollars but is padded and doesn't ride up into the eyes and seems well tolerated.

This sounds like a cheeky plug (suppose it is :eek:) but I have one for sale in the 'Classifieds' section (size 2) if you were interested :eek:

8. Lee-Anne

A double ended lead sounds like a good idea will look into getting one of those I think the halti has only slipped off the once I think the shape of her head coz shes quite small makes it easy so slip over her head. Would give me a bit of confidence that I would still have the lead on the collars if if does slip off :smile:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice