Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

halti collar

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by xxzeezeexx, Oct 11, 2013.

1. xxzeezeexx

xxzeezeexx Guest

Hi.
    We have only tried our new rottie on a halti collar once. My partner said he pulled a lot less but he said he didn't sniff any thing along our walk, which the OH didn't like. He thinks he's depriving him of this activity by using the halti.
    Any thoughts?

2. Scabbers

Scabbers PetForums Senior

I dislike having my dogs head along the floor on my walk. I prefer him to pay attention to me not the floor.

Why not give him permission to sniff and stop every few minutes instead?

3. rottiemum

rottiemum PetForums VIP

Did you get him used to it first? Or just stick it on?
    There are plenty of people that can tell you the best way. ;)

Thankfully, my rottie was already used to one when we got her.

Saying that, I find the Halti rides up into their eyes, and now use a Dogmatic - I find it so much better. :)

4. cbrookman

cbrookman PetForums VIP

I lead walk my dogs to places where I can let them off lead. When off lead that is their time for stopping, sniffing and peeing. With 3 to control on lead I would not want them to stop and sniff whilst on the lead. But then again it depends on whether the lead walk is the main time for exercise and interaction or whether it is to get from A to B. I have found the Gencon all in one best for 1 of mine, the other 2 don't need it.

5. xxzeezeexx

xxzeezeexx Guest

Hows best to get them used to it? Unless it is put on him, how is he going to get used to it?

I have looked at the dogmatic ones and the halti was bought from P@H as a quick fix, as Roman the rottie came to us without much notice, while I decided what to go for more permanently.
    I used a gen con when I went to see a rescue dog, but the lead was too thin. I couldn't get a grip on it, and it hurt my hand.

6. rottiemum

rottiemum PetForums VIP

I suppose I mean desensitisation. Put it on him and let him wear it around the house. Let him get used to wearing it without putting on the lead & going out. Let him realise he can still eat & drink while wearing it - that sort of thing.
    There are people here that explain it much better; hopefully one will come along! :eek:

The dogmatic is good - I use it with a double-ended lead, one end attached to the loop under the chin & one on the collar. She is actually very good at loose lead walking but I use it because if she does see a trigger and wants to pull, then I have a chance of stopping her...;)

7. sezeelson

sezeelson PetForums VIP

It depends what you want from the walk.

Is your dog an on lead only dog? And if so why?
    If not then he will get plenty of opportunity to sniff and explore while off lead and so doesn't need to do this on lead :)

Also, as someone else mentioned, you can give him a release. I do leash walks with boy and I don't like him sniffing anything and everything he wants to so I release him the command 'go sniff' which essentially means go do what you like until I call you into a heel position then continue walking.

Please remember that a halti is only a training aid and you should be working towards removing it. If you need something more permanent, there are front control harness which give you a lot of control and is also a lot more comfortable then a head collar for some dogs :)

8. tabulahrasa

tabulahrasa PetForums VIP

Put it on, treat and praise, take it off, do that until he's totally happy to have it put on, then leave it on longer and longer, making it a really rewarding thing for him to have on, treats for not trying to get it off, lots of attention...then when he's wearing comfortably do the same with it on the lead and then start routinely putting for on for walks. It's quite handy to build in a command as well, so he's sticking his nose up to get it on on command.

Similar to muzzle training really, but it doesn't usually take as long because it's not as annoying to have on.

9. labradrk

labradrk PetForums VIP

Now I've got a Dogmatic for Bo I can see that the Halti is terrible in comparison. Bo hated the Halti but she tolerates the Dogmantic MUCH better. It's fairly expensive but the design and quality trumps the Halti x10.

10. Cleo38

Cleo38 PetForums VIP

But ..... it depends on the dog. Roxy hated all head collars despite desensitization periods. I thought she would cope with the Dogmatic the best but for some reason she hated this the most & tolerated the Gentle Leader out of all of them.

11. CheddarS

CheddarS PetForums VIP

We were the same, tried loads on Cheddar, he refused to move with dogmatic for hours, despite waving chicken in front of him. I now use a gentle leader and he is good with it (he would prefer to be free but is too naughty).

For info I was at the CLA game fair in a shop which sold dogmatic and they were saying that generally they had found them good for all breeds except Weimies...maybe Roxy has the wrong coat on :p

12. sezeelson

sezeelson PetForums VIP

Rossi hated them too, I tried all sorts of types.

In the end his behaviour became worse as he would pull into it as it was so uncomfortable on him anyway.

So, I know only uses harnesses :) I've found training a lot easier with them and much happier knowing he is comfortable!

13. xxzeezeexx

xxzeezeexx Guest

He's on lead till we get to the field then he gets to run and frolic. The walk there is along main roads.

This morning I put the halti on in the house for 10 mins before we went out. It didn't seem to bother him and I get giving him a fuss as he was sitting there calmly. He didn't like it while we were out, kept shaking his head about but he didn't paw at it. We left it on in the field while he was playing so he could learn he can still play, sniff, have treats - you know, the good things of life! ;)
    When we went to put the lead back on, the halti had broken! The bit that goes from the muzzle to the collar is intact but where that attaches to the muzzle has snapped. He was playing the entire time, I didn't not see him chew it at all.

So, I'll be looking for an alternative sooner than I thought :thumbdown:

14. xxzeezeexx

xxzeezeexx Guest

After walking Roman a few times now, I have found he doesn't lunge or jump about. He isn't interested in cats and he will just look at other dogs while on the lead, but keeps walking. He's just strong and walks quicker than we can/do.
    Based on this, what would you all suggest as the best alternative to the halti?

15. xxzeezeexx

xxzeezeexx Guest

Would this be bettet suited in the behavior and training board?

16. Tigerneko

Tigerneko PetForums VIP

Please do be careful with headcollars, some can do a lot of damage if they ride up into the dogs eyes - this is my Rottie, the scar under her eye is from a Gentle Leader headcollar, when I first met her it was absolutely red raw and it it took weeks to heal and for her fur to grow back:

[​IMG]

I would reccommend the Dogmatic headcollar which you mentioned on the first page, they don't ride up into the eyes :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice