Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

halti body harness

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Leah84, Jun 8, 2010.

1. Leah84

Leah84 PetForums VIP

does anyone use one?? i`ve tried using the head halti on banjo but she isn`t too keen on it especially if there`s other dogs around and tries to bat it off her face. i can`t use a normal harness as she`s still way too powerful on them and i don`t feel safe walking her so was wondering if the halti body harness was just as effective as the head one or is it just similar to a normal body harness?

2. mashabella

mashabella PetForums VIP

Hi Leah
    I am not sure about the halti one but I was recommended by my dog trainer to get this:
    dog training harnesses training harness for dogs dog training harness best dog harness dog harnesses dogs harness dog harness lead pet dog harness wholesale dog harness premier easy walk dog harness lupi dog harness halti dog harness dog harness uk d

she said it is very good and teaches them to walk properly too. She said she used it on a bulldog which was very strong and it worked brilliantly.
    Unfortunately I couldn't get this one as even the smallest one is still way too bug for jack-jack.

Hope this helps.

3. Leah84

Leah84 PetForums VIP

that one looks very similar to the one we already have except the fastening is in a different position and the last time i walked out the door with her on it i literally had to hold onto the wall to prevent her dragging me down the street :(

i can walk her perfect on the halti head collar but like i said she gets really stressed especially if there`s other dogs around her

4. mashabella

mashabella PetForums VIP

I heard it is exactly the positioning that makes the difference so they can't pull it properly.

I know what you mean by the head collar tho...it does work but they do sometimes look a bit miserable wearing it.

5. *Tri-Pod*

*Tri-Pod* PetForums Junior

I have used one for a great dane seamed to work well (end of the walk i hadn't been pulled over like normal!) what breed is your dog?

6. SEVEN_PETS

SEVEN_PETS PetForums VIP

i used the halti harness before. it's ok and stops pulling at the beginning but Ollie then just learnt pull through it and now isn't effective. you could try it but i would go for the mekuti harness first. it looks better than the halti harness.

7. mashabella

mashabella PetForums VIP

I was considering using the mekuti actually because they do a smaller size which would fit jack-jack. But it seems a bit extreme for such a small dog :D

I don't know if it will gradually teach them to walk properly tho as my aim is that he will not need it forever.

8. suewhite

suewhite PetForums VIP

I had the same problem great to start with but he learnt to pull through it and that did"nt take him long:)

9. Leah84

Leah84 PetForums VIP

today was bad there was a massive husky pup trying to play with her and i think she got really stressed as she growled etc which she normally doesn`t do so i need something that doesn`t make her feel so conscious

she`s a labrador lol not quite as large as a great dane....but i`m a weakling i used to get dragged down the street by my springer (i must add she`s had a couple other members/ex-members from here over too so she must have been powerful)

the mekuti looks a lot like the halti body harness in design only a lot more expensive, or am i totally wrong in thinking that? http://www.mybowwow.co.uk/mybowwow/HaltiHarness.jpg

10. SEVEN_PETS

SEVEN_PETS PetForums VIP

i believe the mekuti allows the lead to be attached on the other shoulder and passed through a ring on the front. this is more stable. with the halti harness, the lead just attaches to a ring on the front of the harness and i found that when he pulled, it just moved the whole harness and was unstable. to me the mekuti looks more secure and looks more effective in stopping pulling.

11. kaisa624

kaisa624 PetForums VIP

Holly has a halti harness, and it stops her pulling, and she will walk to heel on it, on a loose lead, however once you just use her collar she pulls again, so I'm obviously doing something wrong.

12. zoeoli

zoeoli PetForums Junior

I'm using a halti harness with my lab cross. He was already 18 months when I got him and pulled like a steam train. The harness together with training has helped a lot. At first, I used a double-ended lead attached at front and shoulders, and this was really effective at helping me control his whole position. I had been using a halter before, but this just turns their head so doesn't really get them back to where you want them.

Now that he is improving, I just clip the lead at the front. He can still pull/lunge if something really excites him, but it is certainly much more effective than just the collar, and the mere fact he is wearing it seems to calm him a bit.

It isn't perfect and can slip round - I would say the mekuti looks more secure - but it seems to be working for us.

13. PoisonGirl

PoisonGirl Banned

I bought a halti harness for Dave, I did use to have the ones in the first link but then hadnt used them for a while and decided to donate them along with spare collars n leads to the kennels at xmas, then looked after a friends dog and needed it again! :lol:

The halti harness was/is good, I found Dave was unable to pull on it and if he did try to pull I stopped and he came back to me then we started off again. This I used to teach him that if he went infront, we stop. He got it very quickly and I was able to attach the lead to his collar again.
    Now he will still pull if he see's another dog but I only need to stop for half a second before he bounces back to heel again.

If you want the halti harness to try Leah without spending a fortune on it, let me know what you rekon you'd pay for postage, paypal it to me and you can have it :)

14. dodigna

dodigna PetForums VIP

the mekuti has a 30 day money back guarantee, so even if more expensive you get a chance to see if it works for you. It will teach your dog to walk better, but needs constant use as I have recently found out since Ray has been wlaked mostly by my partner in the last weeks and he hasn't used it properly, I had reached a point he was walking lose leash no problem and I had to start from scratch again (although it took one day).

The mekuti works on balance so your corrections must be spot on time or else it will fail to work in my experience, so make sure you are keeping Benjo focused on you from before she sees the other dog. The corrections are quite subtle though and are only supposed to through your dog's balance so walking becomes a mental exercise as well as physical and the dog tends to focus on you more.

It is also awkward to use at first and takes a little getting used to, again took me a couple of days to realize when to apply the corrections properly, but some people seem to take longer.

15. Montys_Mum

Montys_Mum PetForums Member

We use a stop pulling harness (not sure if that is the one you mean). It doesn't really stop Monty pulling, but it does make him easier to control and hold, and correct bad walking behaviour. I much prefer that than pulling on his collar. We weren't keen on trying a halti on his face because of all the excess skin a basset has lol

Edit - just looked up the mekuti. Looks like a possible for the future once he is a little bigger (otherwise we'd probably have to buy 2 as he grows!). Thanks for the tip :)

#15 Montys_Mum, Jun 9, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2010
  16. Mr Kipling

Mr Kipling PetForums Member

We bought a harness to act as a doggie seat belt but have since used it for all of her walks. It spreads the load across her tummy and is much less likely to hurt her if for example she runs and hits the end of her 10 metre lead.

We still use it as a seat belt but just clip the lead to it when walking, I'd never go back to a lead clipped to her collar as this can hurt the dog and in extreme cases damage her windpipe.

17. Leah84

Leah84 PetForums VIP

we already have one of these and i`ve still been dragged along the street and into the middle of roads so now it just gets used in the car and i have to use the halti or my oh has to walk her :(

awww emma that`s a really nice offer but i wouldn`t wanna take it in case you needed it again

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice