Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Hairy cob advice needed!

Discussion in 'Horse Chat' started by Vicki the lurcher lady, Nov 27, 2019.

1. Vicki the lurcher lady

Vicki the lurcher lady PetForums Newbie

Hey!

So, I have a large hairy cob, with amazing feathers, but, because of the crappy weather he is swimming in mud. The field is a mess. I'm thinking maybe I should clip off his legs??? Hoseing doesn't work, it's like thick matted sausages. Only way is to break them up once they dry out but that would mean keeping him in over 48 hours and he HATES it! He'll be in for a couple of days now because it's horrendous out there so I'll be able to break them up and brush them out but... should I clip them?! And if I do how high do I clip? He's hairy all over and not really doing anything until spring when he's only a light hack, and if possible I want to keep him without a rug! I feel if I just stop at his knees or his elbows he's going to look daft! But if I do his belly and chest like a very low trace clip (??) I'll end up having to rug him if it's really cold/wet!? Any advice greatly appreciated, please no crappy comments I'm new to these really hairy types!!

2. Rafa

Rafa PetForums VIP

I would clip his legs from the top.

There are several cobs on the yard I use who have clipped out legs.

Your only alternative really is to use turnout boots to cover his feather.

3. Ringypie

Ringypie PetForums VIP

Have you tried pig oil on his feathers? You can get it from agricultural merchants? Just paint it on with a hoof oil brush and it stops the mud from sticking.
    Does the mud go right to his skin or do the feathers protect it? I’m just wondering if you did clip would you risk mud fever?

Willsteak likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice