Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

hairless sphynx kitten/cat

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by staceydawlz, Aug 18, 2009.

1. staceydawlz

staceydawlz PetForums VIP

are these rare in uk? i have been looking them up and im in love with them...any owners of these gorgeous things on here? would love to see your fotos!!:D

2. spid

spid PetForums VIP

Don't think they are rare - a lass near me breeds them - not my personal cup of tea but each to their own

3. staceydawlz

i think they r ugly bu absolutly gorgeous!! iv fallen in love with them...do they cost much?

4. ChinaBlue

ChinaBlue PetForums VIP

5. Riverwish

Riverwish PetForums Member

Good for people with allergies I guess but not my personal cup of tea, they look a bit naked to me :D:D

6. DevilDogz

DevilDogz Guest

I dont think there rare..and i dont own them..but i think there stunning! :D

BUT-I have the next best thing..a hairless dog!! :w00t: :D

We call our hairless dogs "The naked Butts! :D:D

7. Riverwish

Riverwish PetForums Member

Lol that's brilliant :p:D

1 person likes this.
  8. staceydawlz

i just think they r wikd but nice price tag!!! contacted someone near me she wants 850pound for a little boy...hmmm i dont have that sort of money for a kitten...lol if i could buy it tho i would no matter how much its cost!!!lol but unfortunatly...im not a millionair!!lol (i know...a bit OTT) :)

9. DevilDogz

DevilDogz Guest

That is alot of money! :eek: Ahh well you never know you might win the lottery one day!

10. staceydawlz

i thot hmmm maybe 300pound? coz i know alot of the pedigree cats got for aroud tht prie but 850??? WAT? lol

11. staceydawlz

hmmm i wonder is there is any in any resues they dont have to be hairless i could rescue one?!?! lol

12. ChinaBlue

ChinaBlue PetForums VIP

Usually the breed clubs have a "Rehome Section" so may be worth contacting them.

13. Angeli

Angeli PetForums Senior

The Sphynx cat at 850 pounds will be a genuine pure bred cat that will come with a certifiable pedigree and be registered with one of the cat governing bodies. It will also be fully vaccinated and very possibly even spayed/neutered. As with everything else in life, you get what you pay for and you certainly wouldn't get a pure bred Sphynx kitten for 300 pounds from a breeder or from a rescue as many crossbreeds these days are priced at 250+. Any pedigree at that price is more likely to be an older kitten or adult cat.

I would imagine these 'hairless' species do unfortunately end up in rescue for one reason or another as being hairless doesn't automatically mean that the breed is easy to maintain and without problems, but I would think it will be in low figures and that there would most likely be a long waiting list of people wanting to rescue one. As with certain other breeds the Sphynx has probably attracted its fair share of impulse buyers too - those that see a particular breed on tv, magazine etc. and decide on the spot that they want one - a decision based purely on looks only with no background research done to see whether the breed is a suitable choice for their family and lifestyle.

Good luck in finding your Sphynx cat.

14. Tillski

Tillski PetForums Member

I don’t like them at all!! I know they can’t help it but I really do think they look ugly; I don’t think I could stroke one, just stroking skin.

And, although they aren’t classed as ‘rare’ I’ve never seen one – only on television, there was a program recently about people obsessed with cats (‘Pussy Galore’ I believe it was called lol) and there was a woman on there from the UK who owned lots of them and took them to the pub with her and out and about in pushchairs!

15. catz4m8z

catz4m8z PetForums VIP

My friend has three and they are the best cats ever! Feel like a warm peach to stroke and have amazing, friendly outgoing personalities.
    If you want a cat that will keep you amused and be with you all the time then a sphynx it is!
    However they do need a weekly bath or else they get dirty and stinky, claws cut regularly and obviously a decently heated indoor home.
    Alot are suffering from the credit crunch and being rehomed cheaper these days coz, unlike with most cats, you cant go out to work all day and leave them alone. They love human company too much.:D

16. staceydawlz

iv been looking them up and i know they are alot harder than looking after a moggy they need bathed their ears cleaned and nails clipped im just just jumping into because "i like the way they look" iv looked into it xx

17. Joan

Joan PetForums Junior

I've got one!! His name is Nogger, he's pink and 4 and he is currently lying on my lap watching me type.

He is truly amazing.

I've only had cats for about 5 years I never had any pets growing up. I'm genuinely not sure he knows he's a cat, he's very vocal and affectionate. He sleeps in bed between me and my partner, under the duvet with his head on the pillow! He will go to incredible lengths to find a warm spot because he obviously feels the cold more than other cats! I'm talking sitting on radiators that are on full blast, pulling dry clothes off so he can sit on them, getting up people's jumpers, sitting on the hob as it cools down, getting on the microwave and oven when they're on and the usual cat way of finding the smallest amount of sun in a room and following it as it moves!

He absolutely loves my boyfriend, he'll wait on the top of doors to jump onto his shoulders when he comes in and there are plenty of tops in his wardrobe (my boyfriend's not the cats!) with Nogger-shaped clawmarks down the front where Nogger's REFUSED to let go of my boyfriends jumper when he's got up and had to go and do something. I'd say he's "fond" of me, mostly when I'm the warmest thing in the room!

He cost £700, but you can certainly pay up to £1500 for an unspayed female, in fact (as far as I'm aware) you can't get spayed females because there aren't too many breeders in this country so I don't think they want to "waste" (if you know what I mean) the breeding potential of a female.

I used a breeders called Znoobers, but they only breed very rarely so they don't keep a full-time web presence. I would recommend them though if you're lucky enough to find them.

However, however, however...he is not a well little boy. He has haemobartonella and diabetes and now seems to have developed an auto-immune problem probably because of the treatment he's having. So he now has restricted diet, injections twice a day, steroids daily and antibiotics for a week every month. Apparently there are no breed-related links to these conditions, but I have a feeling that this may be down to them not being very prolific rather than them being a particularly strong breed...And of course we didn't get him insured, quite frankly because we were stupid and lazy!

He must have cost us over £3000 in the last year. We and he are incredably lucky we could afford it. It would truly have broken my heart if we couldn't. Unfortunately health-wise his future isn't certain.

This is just us though and we might have been VERY unlucky. Having listed the horrors, at times his red-blood count has been so low he should have been in a coma and he barely even slowed down, so he's a toughy!

I'll attempt to put up some pictures when I feel a bit more computer-confident!

I hope you get one if it's what you want, I do think it will change your life and even if you ADORE cats you'll be surprised how much you can love him/her! (Just get it insured!!)

18. shell195

shell195 PetForums Junior

The only word to describe Sphynx is WOW.
    They are the best cats ever. My boy Dennis is adorable and I dont know how I managed without him, the problem is they are so addictive
    The breeder I got my boy off sells her pet boys for £700, registered,fully vaccinated,ID chipped,neutered and from HCM scanned parents
    If you get a sphynx you will never go back

Dennis The Menace

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. aella851

aella851 PetForums Junior

think cat world mag doing a feature on them next month

20. morriseins

morriseins PetForums Newbie

The Sphynx is a relatively rare cat breed, and kinda expensive too :D They're not maintenance-free cats, so if your planning on owning one, better make sure you're ready for the responsibility :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice