Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Hairball

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by P & T, Sep 19, 2020.

1. P & T

P & T PetForums Newbie

Hi all,

I woke up this morning to evidence my cat vomited up a chunk of hair.

As she has not previously had hairball issues before (I’ve had her for over a year) I was wondering if you could have a look and let me know if this seems like a normal hairball to you?

Here is a picture (and yes I know it looks like poo but I picked it up and analysed it and it’s definitely a very bundled up chunk of fur!!):

Attached Files:

2. Laura 25

Laura 25 PetForums Junior

Hi!

My cats always have hairballs and this looks normal to me. Best thing to do if to brush your cat often, especially at this time of year as they shed their fur.
    You can buy a gel from pets at home to help move furballs along the digestion track, but this only needs to be used occasionally.

Hope that helps

3. Callidora

Callidora PetForums Member

Yep, totally normal. Like @Laura 25 says, grooming helps. I’ve always used regular cat brushes but I recently bought a pair of those gloves you see advertised and they’re fantastic! You can also buy cat food and treats specially formulated to help with hair balls. I use them and I brush my cats regularly, we haven’t had any hair balls in years.

4. P & T

P & T PetForums Newbie

Hi @Laura 25 and @Callidora, thank you very much for confirming this is all normal! My cat and her sister are short-haired sweeties so after a year of having them I thought they just wouldn't have hairball problems. I can see I was mistaken in my belief. Pictures I could find online didn't have the (admittedly a bit gross looking) greenish liquid puddle around the ball of hair so I thought I'd post here just to make sure everything was fine.

I'll keep an eye on the situation, and thank you for the tips on how to manage this - I'll start brushing them more often and look into the gel and treats you two mentioned if any more hairballs are vomited up.

Callidora likes this.
  5. Laura 25

Laura 25 PetForums Junior

Hairballs are generally nothing to worry about. As long as they continue to eat and groom themselves that's a good sign.
    Mine have quite a few (being long haired) when they malt. The stuff they bring back up can be food that they've eaten too.

#5 Laura 25, Sep 21, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2020
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice