Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Hairball?

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by Sammiahoy, Jul 17, 2019.

1. Sammiahoy

Sammiahoy PetForums Newbie

Hello! So this is what I’m hoping is just a hairball. He has been shedding a lot more recently for whatever reason. And my boyfriend found a tube shaped hair ‘thing’ stuck to the floor alongside a few patches of bike. There’s also been some hair in his poo and he hasn’t been eating as much as usual. Though I was putting this down towards the heat.

While this all points towards hair ball. Is there anything I can do apart from brush him more often to help him out? Or anything I should watch out for in case there’s a blockage etc?

Thanks guys!

2. Treaclesmum

Treaclesmum PetForums VIP

Hi, the tube shaped hair thing sounds like the main culprit, I.e. a hairball, especially if it was with patches of bile! Most cats shed a lot more than usual at this time of year as the weather heats up. Mine all get hairballs, although it is Gracie my BSH who gets the most, as she sheds the most due to her extra thick coat. If you can give your cat a malt paste or even some treats with malt paste in, you should find this will help a lot, in addition to regular brushing.

Soozi, Sammiahoy and TriTri like this.
  3. Sammiahoy

Sammiahoy PetForums Newbie

Thank you! I’ll try the malt paste then and keep giving him regular brushing! He’s only a year old but has never had one before, so just wanted to check I was doing everything I could for him!

Soozi and Treaclesmum like this.
  4. Soozi

Soozi PetForums VIP

Malt paste should help and allow him to pass the hair ball in his poo if he doesn’t like it you can try hairball treats. The bile is stomach acid so just feed him light food fir a day to settle it. Does he eat dry or wet food btw?

Treaclesmum likes this.
  5. Annealise

Annealise PetForums Member

@Treaclesmum My kitten recently coughed up a hair ball. He then had diarrhoea. Can hairballs cause this or can the paste cause it? I may have been a bit heavy handed with the paste. He doesn’t like the paste so I put it on his paws to lick off...

6. Treaclesmum

Treaclesmum PetForums VIP

Hi I'm not sure if malt paste could cause diarrhoea but I've never noticed it. My cats usually have better poops after some malt paste. Mine sometimes get diarrhoea before a hairball and then afterwards it should improve, although it might well last a while longer if the hair in the stomach has caused colitis. So maybe just give your cat boiled chicken or fish for the next few meals until symptoms improve.

7. Annealise

Gosh hairballs can cause Colitis! I didn’t realise they were so bad. I’ve fed him bland food but still runny yellow poops. Now given him some Probiotics that the Vet had previously given me for a bout of diarrhoea. If he had Colitis would this be ok?

8. Soozi

Soozi PetForums VIP

I Think the probiotic would be fine to give him. It should help firm up his poo.
    Approx 2cm from the tube of malt paste should be enough.

Treaclesmum likes this.
  9. Annealise

Thanks. I did notice his poop was bit firmer today. Was worried if firming it was masking something... Silly me measured the malt paste after I had squirted it out and it formed a small ball, hence a bit much. My kitten wouldn’t have it from the tube, I had to keep following him around to get it on his paws, to lick off.

Soozi likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice