Welcome!

Welcome to PetForums, the UK's most popular and friendly pet owners community. Please 'Sign Up' if you'd like to take part and contribute to our forum.

Hairball or something else?

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by MrBiggles87, Feb 13, 2018.

1. MrBiggles87

MrBiggles87 PetForums Newbie

Hello all,

A couple of days ago I came down to discover Romeo (my 4 year old Ragdoll) had produced a lovely hairball on the kitchen floor.

Ever since he has been intermittently retching, like a hard swallow... although nothing come up? He does it a couple of times and then carries on with his day.

He’s eating, sleeping, playing, pooping and peeing with nothing otherwise out of the ordinary.

The vets is closed but they recommended the use of a hair ball laxative. Could he have a sore throat?

Just wondered if anyone else had come across this and had any advice?

2. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

A kind of retching noise sounds as though he may be trying to puke up another hairball which is too big to leave the tummy through the Pylorus.

Gulping or swallowing a lot can be a symptom of an inflamed respiratory tract or a symptom of nausea. He could be feeling nauseous if he has a hairball in his tummy.

I would probably give him the hair ball laxative and take him to the vet if he is no better tomorrow.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice