Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Hair loss at the back of her ear

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by Nickyleon, Jan 14, 2020.

1. Nickyleon

Nickyleon PetForums Newbie

This morning we found Tang (six months ) is having a bit hair loss at the back of her ear, we do not know if it is worm infection or normal? She has had her flea and worm treatment on time, she also had her spaying done just before Christmas and we are not sure whether it is something related. We are grateful if someone could advise. Thanks in advance

Attached Files:

2. lorilu

lorilu PetForums VIP

Have you noticed her scratching it?

3. Nickyleon

We haven't noticed that. She does scratch her neck sometimes and it might be that we gave her flea treatment recently.

4. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

I agree with lorilu's suggestion, it looks like Tang has been scratching her ear quite a bit. Her ears (or that ear) must be very itchy for her to scratch that much. Can you peer inside her ears and see if she has a build of earwax, particularly black ear wax that looks a bit like coffee grounds. If she does then it could be due to ear mites.

A flea infestation doesn't always cause itchy ears, but an infestation of ear mites does. There is only one currently available spot-on treatment that I know of that kills ear mites as well as fleas and that is Advocate (a.k.a. Advantage Plus in some countries outside the UK)

If Tang does have black ear wax you can check for ear mites by taking some of the wax out of each ear gently with a cotton bud. Place the wax on a dark background and then use a microscope to look for small white specks (which are the mites).

If her ears look clean inside then I would consider a food allergy as the cause, as such allergies quite commonly cause itchy ears in cats.

lorilu likes this.
  5. Nickyleon

Thank you very much.

We gave her Bob Martin from B&M, but we found a few lumps where the drug was applied so we decided not to use it again. I will pop in pets4home to buy the Advocate as you suggested. Luckily I am a university research staff so there are plenty of microscopes, i will grab some samples and check for the ear mite. Re. the allergy. We have been fed her Cosma original, freshly boiled chicken breasts, and Royal Canin dry kitten food for the last two weeks as we thought these will improve her recovery from the spaying.
    Thanks again.

chillminx and lorilu like this.
  6. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

@Nickyleon - I'm afraid Advocate spot-on is only available from the vet or with a prescription from an online pharmacy. And you would have to take Tang to the vet to get the product or a prescription. Which may be the best thing to do, as the vet can examine her ears and see if there is an infection.

Does your kitten have any contact with other cats,? If so she could have caught mites from them as mites are very contagious. (if she does turn out to have mites I mean) . :)

If it is not mites she could have an allergy to one of the ingredients in the RC dry food. Or it could be she has an allergy to chicken. Beef, chicken and fish are the most common feline food allergens. Two of my cats (who are unrelated to each other) have an allergy to chicken and beef.

7. Nickyleon

Thanks and we appreciate your advice a lot. And it turned out to be like what you said, Petsathome does not stock advocate but a few others (advantage and frontline) we did not want to risk. We used a damped cotton bud to wipe around her ear but it was fairly clean ( no ear wax like coffee granules), so we can exclude ear mites? We will still take her to the vets for advocates!

She has been on RC dry food since she was born and we shall stop giving her boiled chicken and beef to see if there is any improvement.

Thanks again.

8. lorilu

lorilu PetForums VIP

This does not mean she hasn't developed an allergy to the RC. In fact cat the longer the cat eats a single food, the more likely it is. RC isn't that great, and she would do better on a wet diet (transition slowly).. Perhaps plan on transitioning her to a better diet after her vet trip.

You can feed her tiny bits of fresh food as you are doing, but be careful to keep unbalanced meat under 10 % for a growing kitten. Do you plan to transition to home made meals at some point?

chillminx likes this.
  9. Nickyleon

My missus gives her a stripe of mini chicken filet
    Thank you.

I hope RC dry food is not her allergen, we bought like 10kg when it was on offer. We also bought lots of Wainwights wet kitten food and now she simply walks away.....She has gone quite fussy after her spaying. During her recovery time, she was having Cosma and boiled chicken for like two weeks...

We are planning to transitioning her back to Wainwrights wet food but it doesn't work atm, she only eats a tiny bit of the Tuna flavor when mixed with boiled chicken. If we give her the Chicken flavor Wainwrights food, she would eat even mixed with boiled chicken but only dry food...

We do not mind feeding her homemade meals if it works out better, can you please be a bit more specific on it? Big thanks

10. Babyshoes

Babyshoes PetForums Senior

Is she stressed at all? One of my boys occasionally gets similar spots on his ears when there are changes at home. He's an anxious cat, so it doesn't take much to stress him, poor thing.

Agree with getting her checked at the vet though, as there are several potential causes.

Nickyleon likes this.
  11. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

@Nickyleon - dry food has a strong smell to it, from the flavouring it is sprayed with at the end of the manufacturing process. The flavouring (called Animal Digest) has no nutritional value but is very attractive to cats. Unfortunately many cats offered dry food will become obsessed with it and refuse to eat their wet food.

If you are putting down a bowl of dry food for her to snack on, whenever she wants, this will be spoiling her appetite for her wet food. Dry food is very high in carbs and fats and very nourishing. If you want to feed dry food as part of her diet it is best to measure out a fixed sized portion according to the feeding instructions on the packet and feed it to your cat for one of her meals. And feed her wet meals for her other meals. If you weigh out the dry food I think you may be surprised how small an amount is recommended for one meal.

All dry food contains bacteria and fungus, and this starts to increase as soon as the packet of food is opened to the air. The manufacturers therefore advise that dry food should be used up within 6 weeks of opening the bag. Unless one has a large household of cats, a 10 kg bag is probably going to last a lot longer than 6 weeks. For this reason, as your cat is only on a part dry food diet, I would advise buying the smallest size bags and replacing the food more often.

I don't feed my own cats any dry food, as I consider it unhealthy for their bladder, kidneys and other organs. But as dry foods go there are better makes on the market than Royal Canin. e.g. Thrive Premium Plus (which is lower in carbs and higher in meat protein than RC).

#11 chillminx, Jan 16, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2020
    Nickyleon likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice