Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Hair colouring

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by HarlequinCat, Sep 15, 2020.

1. HarlequinCat

HarlequinCat PetForums VIP

I'm thinking of getting my hair coloured for the first time. I'm 33 and I have loads of grey hairs already! Its not just the fact I'm going grey, I would also like just having a change and see if I like it.

Anyone experienced with it know if its worth going to a hairdressers or if there are any good home colouring kits. Or if there are any good wash out ones that I can try first?

2. Happy Paws2

Happy Paws2 PetForums VIP

I don't colour my hair anymore but when I did I used to use Clairol Nice'n when I wanted to keep it near to my normal dark colour and as I got greyer and when I decided to go blonde I used L'Oreal excellence both covered grey very well and easy to use.

kimthecat and tabelmabel like this.
  3. HarlequinCat

4. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

At around £9 max for home colour compared to £28-£46 at my local salon (and in the end needing roots done every 3-4 weeks) I chose home colour.

There are wash in or semi permanent ones you can buy, which don’t contain such harmful chemicals in, I believe, so I’d start with them tbh.

I had a reaction to Nice & Easy.

I used Garnier for many years without problems but eventually that started to give mild eye sensitivity (despite keeping it out if my eyes).

Whatever you decide, a patch test is important to guard against a severe allergic reaction.

I gave up dying my hair a couple of years ago (58) and wish I had many years ago ;)

HarlequinCat and tabelmabel like this.
  5. Siskin

Siskin Look into my eyes....

My once upon a time hair colour was a sort of red gold. As I started to get white hair I tried a home colour of two, but they just looked awful as I couldn’t match my natural colour which I didn’t want to change. In the end I went to the hairdressers and she put in a mix of low and highlights slightly darker and lighter then my colour. It looked great and I didn’t need to have root touch ups or anything in between as it’s not so obvious as one colour. However over the years my hair got whiter and whiter until the stylist said I either had an all over colour job or just let it go white which is what I did. Actually I rather like it all white, I do get complements on the colour it is now which is a boost.

6. tabelmabel

tabelmabel Banned

My daughter was at the hairdresser recently and had blonde highlights in - cost £65!

Looks amazing though - she has long hair, was very very long but she had about 4" taken off at the same time so i expect that pushed the cost up a bit.

I havent dyed my hair since my teens - started on the semi permanant dyes when i was about 12 or 13 but used to just do my whole head with nice n easy by the time i was 15 through early 20s.

Was easy to do but very smelly - i expect things have come on in the past 30 years.

I must have had a stress free life (i wish!) as i have no grey at all yet in my 50s. But my hair is mid brown now whereas it was very blonde when i was younger (without dye)

I used to love dying my hair but i wouldnt be so brave now. My son used to dye his at home from mid brown to black. Never had any problem it really suited him. But i think he got fed up with the roots coming through.

Have fun with it, whatever you decide to do:)

HarlequinCat likes this.
  7. HarlequinCat

I'll try the semi permanent stuff first I think maybe, least then
    I am thinking just going semi permanent since that just fades away, and if I get bored of that colour I can try another. Or just go back to grey! I feel a bit old with so many grey hairs in my early thirties :eek:
    With the patch test I notice some u mix into one bottle to use. Do u patch test after mixing them and will they be ox mixed for 48hrs or do u test the bottles individually? I have no idea about how you use the stuff but I'm sure they'll have instructions

8. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

I think you mix a little of each bottle together for the test as once mixed it can’t be kept.

After the wait period you then mix the remainder, I believe.

HarlequinCat likes this.
  9. Jaf

Jaf PetForums VIP

I dyed my hair a lovely blue/ black....looked great until the colour washed off after 3 washes...leaving a dull grey all over! I wasn’t the least bit grey then and my greys now are shiny/ glinty in the sun so I quite like them.

I stuck to browns and reds after that which looked nice, but it’s all a bit of a faff so I stopped doing it.

HarlequinCat likes this.
  10. Boxerluver30

Boxerluver30 Hound Lover

I get my hair coloured all the time, not a fan of my natural colour (mousy brown) . Have gotten it various shades of dark the past few years but recently decided on a big change. On saturday I got it dyed blond/pink.

I would get a semi permanent at home kit for now and see how you like it . If budget allows get a few shades of a colour you like and experiment a bit . Hairdressers is more permanent so leave that until you are happy you want the colour change

Eta: heres a pic of my new colour :)

Attached Files:

Colette likes this.
  11. Boxerluver30

Boxerluver30 Hound Lover

Also for at home kits i usually use either shwarzkopf (think thats how its spelt?!) or garnier.

12. Teddy-dog

Teddy-dog PetForums VIP

I don’t colour my hair anymore but used to a lot when I was younger using box kits.

Going to the hairdressers is expensive but, if you can afford it, I would do that as it is much better for your hair health I believe! Mine did go quite dry after a while so I decided to stop to let it recover and haven’t been bothered to dye it again.

13. Linda Weasel

Linda Weasel PetForums VIP

I mix a little bit 50/50 to do my roots where it shows, if I can’t be asked to do them all.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice