Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Hair colour advice pls

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Lavenderb, Apr 9, 2011.

1. Lavenderb

Lavenderb PetForums VIP

Ok so I've been dyeing my hair for years now. My natural colour or should I say 'was' my natural colour is brunette but I've had grey coming for years around 7 so really I'm probably totally grey under this colour I have now or at least very greyish lol....gawd this is embarassing cos I'm only 39 but my mother was grey at 35 and I must be taking after the old bat.

Anyway I'm starting to get sick of dyeing it dark brown/reddish brown every 4 weeks. My hair grows really fast and the roots show really quickly and I was thinking well if I'm really grey then why not go blonde...so my question is how easy is it to get grey hair blonde? I have been blonde before and liked it but that was when the 'dark' roots used to show lol, now thats not the case.

2. classixuk

classixuk PetForums VIP

It's very easy to get grey hair to go blonde, but not so easy to get grey hair that has been coloured dark brown to turn blonde.

;)

You can either visit a salon and have it all done in one go. Timewise, it will take about 4-5 hours, and cost wise, around £130 (if you have it done properly).

Or you can gradually make the change yourself at home over a period of around 12 months (if your hair is a short hairstyle). To do this, next time you buy your colour, go for the next lightest shade. e.g. Buy a light chestnut brown if you usually buy a medium chestnut brown.

Apply this to the roots only, and then for the last 2 minutes before you wash it off, comb it through the lengths and ends.

Your roots will be coloured ever so slightly lighter than the ends (hardly noticeable). Do the same thing next time.

The time after that, go one shade lighter again (dark chestnut blonde). Do that over 2 applications.

Then medium golden blonde x2.

Then light golden blonde x 2.

Then light natural blonde x 4.

This will get you to where you want to be gradually.

There is a product out there at the moment called "ColorB4" which claims to magically remove all of your existing hair colour and leave you with your natural hair colour. It doesn't work. Don't bother with it. We've had at least 6 people in the salon this month who have used it and ended up having to pay us a lot of money to get their hair colour looking half decent. Buy cheap, buy twice comes to mind.

;)

Best of luck.

Lavenderb likes this.
  3. Lavenderb

Lavenderb PetForums VIP

Ooooh thanks for that info. I'm going to give it a go at home myself then, doing it gradually. Didn't know it could be done like that and it would look more gradual rather then sudenly becoming blonde. The rate my hair grows it will be done in 6 months lol.

And after I had posted the thread I realised noone would own up to dyeing their hair from grey to blonde lol.:D :D :D

4. northnsouth

northnsouth PetForums VIP

Good information. ClassixUK. So here is my question. Please :)

I really like my hair colour and do not want to start colouring, but in the last few months I have started getting really silver hairs at my temples and just under my fringe.. I do not want to colour all my hair, I really like my natural colour. I have bought the new moose colour and used that, and really liked it too, but literally used about a 16th of the tube and threw the rest way.... I remember seeing about 5 years ago a product advertised, it was like a big mascara and you just brushed it through your hair on the grey bits....but can not remember what it was called or who made it but I think this would be perfect for now.. Any ideas please?

#4 northnsouth, Apr 9, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2011
  5. classixuk

classixuk PetForums VIP

The mascara is something that needs to be used everytime you wash your hair.

If your grey is very minimal (i.e. less than 10%) you'll be fine to go with a true semi-permanent colour to blend the grey. This contains no ammonia, no peroxide or other chemicals. It is literally like a conditioner that thinks it's a colour. It lasts 8-10 washes, and I have a few clients who are really happy to use this type of product seeing as it cannot damage their hair in any way.

In the salon, to achieve this we use a professional plant based product called Symbio - L'Oréal Professionnel, Symbio

You could try looking for this online and apply it at home. Recommended shades - natural brunettes try 4.15 or 5.23, redheads try 6.60, blondes try 8.30 or 9.02 if very blonde.

A supermarket alternative would be Glintz, by Clairol. Clairol Glints Semi-Permanent Haircolour - Read Reviews It is simliar, but not quite as good (a bit like feeding your dog harringtons instead of James Well Beloved).

Hope this is helpful to you.

xx

6. girlyhouse

girlyhouse PetForums Senior

ooohhh can you still get glintz? havent seen it for years.it made your hair really shiny

7. Happy Paws2

Happy Paws2 PetForums VIP

I had very dark brown, and had my first greys hairs when I was 15, I use to colour my hair dark brown, until, the roots were getting all most totally grey, so I went (Loving Care) mid brown, then light brown, Now I use L'oreal Excellence light natural blond. All have covered grey hair very well.

8. catz4m8z

catz4m8z PetForums VIP

I dont mind my grey along my hairline... its distinguished!!;) Plus Ive had a white streak along my temple since I was a teenager, it makes me feel like Rogue in the X-men!!LOL:D
    (all my family went grey from their early twenties so I am actually doing really well..he he..:eek:)

9. bird

bird PetForums VIP

I'll hold my hands up to being grey. Well actually apart from roots I've not seen my natural (or old natural) colour for years. :rolleyes: And theres one heck of a lot more grey than colour there. :(

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice