Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Haematoma on back

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by missye87, Apr 5, 2011.

1. missye87

missye87 PetForums VIP

My little old man of 15 years has recently developed a haematoma on his lower back down by the base of the Spine. I originally took him in immediately as I thought it was an abscess as it felt slightly warm to the touch. The vet pricked it and gave him antibiotics etc, and it came out as mainly blood with only a slight bit of pus.
    However, it grew back, but the vet reckoned it was a haematoma, and that it would most likely heal by itself. Sooty had an accident during the night and bumped the lump, and it started putting pressure on his spine, and because he was so obviously in pain he got an appointment in the morning at the vets, where he was admitted so they could lance it and put a drain in.
    The vet said that he was sure it was a haematoma, even though he had never seen one before in that place on a cat, only in the ears. The first night home Sooty has a lot of blood coming out, but after that it settled down and we cleaned the wound regularly to ensure it was open and able to drain if required, but nothing came out and the bump was gone. We went to the vets, four days later and had the drain removed, he said the area looked great and no blood came out when he removed the drain and Sooty wasn't even in pain at that point.
    However, since he has been slightly withdrawn and depressed, but eating, drinking and going to the toilet. Yesterday I noticed a slight limp when I got home from work, and immediately took him to the vets, and the vet reckons that his haematoma might be coming back, even though it healed really well, as there is a slight bit of fluid lying over his muscle! He has given him some meds, which I need to give him every night for a day or two, and he got an injection, the meds are what the vet described as the cat equivalent of neurofen. He was suddenly much perkier, happier and his appetite has shot up in line with what it was before he got the bump in the first place, and he has been behaving exactly like normal.
    I've been asked to keep an eye on it and give them an update daily on the bump status, to ensure it doesn't grow back.

Has anybody else ever heard of this? The vet said it was really rare and that he personally had never seen a case like it.

Blood results are good, temp is good, so no infection.

Many thanks,
    Ems

2. Dally Banjo

Dally Banjo PetForums VIP

Poor Sooty :( sorry no ideas but hope he's better soon x

Soozi likes this.
  3. missye87

missye87 PetForums VIP

Me too :( Even though he is getting older he has always been very perky, playful with a good appetite, and he has always been very much a lapcat, funnily enough. It's horrible when you can tell that they aren't feeling tiptop.

Can't wait to get home and have a good snug with him!

4. Gratch

Gratch PetForums VIP

Hope he gets better soon *hugs*

5. missye87

missye87 PetForums VIP

Thanks :) I hate feeling like I hover over him worrying all the time!

6. Lulus mum

Lulus mum PetForums VIP

Hi Ems
    Sorry no experience of anything like this
    Just wanted to wish you and your "little old man" Sooty lots of "snugs" together

Give him big,but gentle, hug from my 3 cats Rigsby,Dougal and little Ollie,too
    Please let us now how he goes on
    Maureen

7. jill3

jill3 PetForums VIP

Sorry I haven't got any advice to give. Hopefully someone on here will have have some for you.
    Poor sooty.
    It's not nice seeing them feeling poorly. Having 3 little fur babies myself I am a born worrier.
    I totally agree with you it is horrible when they are feeling ill you just wish you could make the pain go away.

Hope he will soon make a full recovery.

Plenty of cuddles tonight.

8. Picklelily

Picklelily PetForums VIP

Time for a second opinion, a Haematoma is caused by bleeding, has he had a full blood count recently including clotting?

9. Ceiling Kitty

Ceiling Kitty Hides away from much through humour...

Rule out a coagulopathy (platelet count and clotting profile needed) and a haemangiosarcoma (biopsy).

Soozi and Picklelily like this.
  10. MoggyBaby

MoggyBaby PetForums VIP

Um....... Don't know why this thread is coming up now as it dates back to 2011.....:confused:

Soozi likes this.
  11. buffie

buffie Mentored by Meeko

These bl**dy "similar thread lists" at the bottom of every thread seem to be surfacing all over the place :rolleyes:

chillminx, Soozi and MoggyBaby like this.
  12. Soozi

Soozi PetForums VIP

I did ask if these Similar threads could be replaced by the stickies....maybe it's not possible. Doh!:Banghead xxx

13. buffie

buffie Mentored by Meeko

I don't really see the point of them showing after the thread has been posted .

Soozi likes this.
  14. Picklelily

Picklelily PetForums VIP

eek never thought to look at the date when I saw it

hate the new forum its not user friendly at all like the old one.

15. Ceiling Kitty

Lol I didn't even notice! I think it is those 'similar threads' at the bottom, isn't it? I think we'll be seeing a lot more of this.

I suppose the chances of the OP coming back now and letting us know what happened are pretty slim!

Soozi likes this.
  16. Ceiling Kitty

17. Paddypaws

Paddypaws PetForums VIP

I remember missye87 well. her sweet Sooty went to the bridge not long after those posts as the Haematoma kept returning...cant remember exactly what the diagnosis was.

18. Ceiling Kitty

Aw what a shame. Poor little love. :(

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice