UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:confused1::confused:::eek6::thumbup::lol::scared::):D
I went for my first lesson today to see how things would go, it took me over half an hour to get there, but it what a BHS approved stables, the lady was very nice and gave me lots of encouragement, Im not sure if I want to go back there though because its on the outskirts of London and a bit too far away, too far to go on a regular basis, its a shame though because I think I could do really well with Hilary, she has been around horses for years.

I got there about 10 minutes early, I paid and tried on a few hats, eventually got one that didnt fall down, I went and waited by the inside arena, made friends with the two horses already there whilst I was waiting, then a girl comes in leading a really laid back pony called Lurpak, you could just see it in his face that he was chilled out and wasnt prepared to rush for anyone.

Then the fun bit started, got told off coz I was a wee bit excited, but after that I calmed down.

I stood on the wobbly step, had to grab the reighns in my left hand put my right on him, then put my "good" foot in th stirrup, the odd bit was getting my leg over him, I did it though, when I sat down at first it felt wierd being up so high, and I wasnt sitting properly in the saddle, we eventally got the stirrups sorted out, even my little foot fitted properly without any problems, one that was done I felt a bit better, still wobbly, then I was taught how to hold the reighns, felt better still when I had proper hold, but the icing on the cake was the sitting up right, then it seemed to be taking shape.

We started walking around the arena and I was trying to keep him to the track, which went well but he kept getting close to the wall so I was taught how to make his head go nearer the wall to bring his bum end out.

It was 45 minutes long,I got off feeling a bit odd, but I actually think the having to sit up straight has helped my back lots.

Lets wait to see how I feel in the morning, but first impressions are slow is good, faster might be scarey.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Glad you got on so well :thumbup:
It really is more difficult starting to ride as an adult as you have the "fear factor"
To be honest though, if you trust the horse then the odd fall isnt going to put you off forever! I love being out in the fields and just going for a nice big gallops to relieve all of my stress from the week!
Finding a new yard wont be too hard, go onto the BHS website and there will be lists of all the yard BHS registered in your area. I am in the process of finding a yard for my horse, we are at number 3 and are having to move again, so trust me, think your self lucky haha
As long as it is somewere that will take you into consideration, wont push you and you feel comfortable there that is all you need and u will come along leaps and bounds! :thumbup:
Good Luck!

·
Registered
8,266 Posts
Well done, Rupertsmum.:thumbup::thumbup:
I have been reading both your threads. I think you said you are slightly disabled & out of work. If you are registered disabled? I think you can go to RDA very cheaply or at a reduced rate.
I used to help with the adult section at our RDA group & I think they all got their riding either for free or reduced. We had people with several different disabilities too.
I led a horse for Chris, he was a card. I used to be laughing all the time. He had a great sense of humour.

All the best to you for your riding lessons.:thumbup:

·
Registered
15,284 Posts
:confused1::confused:::eek6::thumbup::lol::scared::):D
I went for my first lesson today to see how things would go, it took me over half an hour to get there, but it what a BHS approved stables, the lady was very nice and gave me lots of encouragement, Im not sure if I want to go back there though because its on the outskirts of London and a bit too far away, too far to go on a regular basis, its a shame though because I think I could do really well with Hilary, she has been around horses for years.

I got there about 10 minutes early, I paid and tried on a few hats, eventually got one that didnt fall down, I went and waited by the inside arena, made friends with the two horses already there whilst I was waiting, then a girl comes in leading a really laid back pony called Lurpak, you could just see it in his face that he was chilled out and wasnt prepared to rush for anyone.

Then the fun bit started, got told off coz I was a wee bit excited, but after that I calmed down.

I stood on the wobbly step, had to grab the reighns in my left hand put my right on him, then put my "good" foot in th stirrup, the odd bit was getting my leg over him, I did it though, when I sat down at first it felt wierd being up so high, and I wasnt sitting properly in the saddle, we eventally got the stirrups sorted out, even my little foot fitted properly without any problems, one that was done I felt a bit better, still wobbly, then I was taught how to hold the reighns, felt better still when I had proper hold, but the icing on the cake was the sitting up right, then it seemed to be taking shape.

We started walking around the arena and I was trying to keep him to the track, which went well but he kept getting close to the wall so I was taught how to make his head go nearer the wall to bring his bum end out.

It was 45 minutes long,I got off feeling a bit odd, but I actually think the having to sit up straight has helped my back lots.

Lets wait to see how I feel in the morning, but first impressions are slow is good, faster might be scarey.
Sounds like they were a very good school.. don't worry about getting giddy..lol I still get giddy bout horses....lol Well you have started now.. so just keep it all up.. xxx.. I told you I saw no probs with you riding. xxx keep it up hun..

·
Registered
55 Posts
Awesome!
Glad you had a good time :)
I was giddy/scared when I first got on a horse, I just remember thinking "NOO put me back on a pony please!"

Need to take someone with you to get pictures! :D

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.