Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Had an idea

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Staysee, Jan 24, 2012.

1. Staysee

Staysee PetForums VIP

But i cant run with it just yet.

Today my parents started thier first market stall selling toasties and a veggie bean pot and they did pretty well, not a huge profit but enough.

So they got home and asked them all about it and they said they cant wait for the next day which is friday. So it gave me an idea.....i asked if there were stipulations to opening a market stall and there wasnt, just that the guy who looks after it all likes for you to run by him what you wanna sell and he says yes or no.

So i thought maybe i could do something, a daily rate of £24 is fine....but what could i do?!

I thought about things that i love....shoes! but theres a dorothy perkins on the street and an asda 5mins away and how many people buy shoes on a daily basis? Oh what about cosmetics?! But theres a large boots also along the street and a nice size superdrug! Well, i love wildlife....but what can i do to do with wildlife? I'd like to do something like this as its only 2 days a week at this one lacation and once your in your allowed to trade at many markets around the county as you want.

So its got me thinking what could i do....so i thought i'd ask here, altho different parts of the country and world haha what would you like to see on a market stall?

2. Valanita

Valanita PetForums VIP

We, Daughter & I sell, second hand mostly, toys, collectables & bric-a-brac, Sometimes proper antiques, but not often, picked up at car boots or auctions. We sell at a market twice a month.

How about selling bird houses, bird boxes & other wildlife related items & wildbird food, perhaps pet food as well? If no one else does there? You need to canvas the area & ask people what they would like to see for sale in that market that isn't there, I would help you decide.

We have been doing it for years & have an established customer base. It might be a while before people get to know who & where you are, but they will become regular customers in time.

Good luck whatever you decide to sell. It's great fun.

#2 Valanita, Jan 24, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2012
  3. Staysee

Staysee PetForums VIP

I did think pet stuff but there is an established pet shop just a few mins away in the undercover market

4. poohdog

poohdog PetForums VIP

Good luck to you,but it's a dying game...I packed in after 30 years because less and less people visit markets now.
    In any of the good remaining markets they won't let you on if you have the same gear as the existing traders.Getting on some markets is easy now though,they're desperate for traders.When I started you could have your name on a list for years.

Don't go for anything too selective...wildlife stuff sounds good but you won't sell enough in the day to make it pay.And as for something new...that's what all market traders would like.

I would advise anyone going into it now to open a £1 stall...then you can sell everything under the sun,and most passers by will have a browse.

It's a hard game with our weather though...and you have to get up early.You will need public liability insurance too on most markets.
    I've worked in six inches of snow...and made a profit. But nowadays the slightest hint of rain and the public disappear like magic.

metame likes this.
  5. poohdog

poohdog PetForums VIP

Just noticed you're Devon way...look for markets near caravan sites.If you go the £1 route they're good customers for the kitchen clobber...soap,loo rolls and the rest.

6. Beagle Mafia

Beagle Mafia Guest

smoothies, cupcakes, ice cream. :)

7. metame

metame PetForums VIP

my dad does the market stalls, cakes, pickles, chutneys and home grown veggies

8. EllesBelles

EllesBelles PetForums Senior

People down my way make good money selling handmade jewelry or homemade cosmetics at the market - you could look into those?

Good luck with it. You'll never know unless you try!

9. Beagle Mafia

Beagle Mafia Guest

pick n mix sweets :D

10. Valanita

Valanita PetForums VIP

For most markets if you sell food you have to have hygiene certificates & note all ingredients on the labels.

11. Valanita

Valanita PetForums VIP

The only selling outlet I know here near caravan parks is a car boot sale & that's only run in the Summer.
    Staysee already has a market to sell at, by the way she wrote the OP. She wants advice on what goods to sell.

12. poohdog

poohdog PetForums VIP

That was my game...trouble is pick n mix,the public like it but you have the Elf and Safety all over you.Hot weather=wasps and dust...damp weather=sticky sweets.
    I prepacked £1 bags much less hassle but a lot of home time packing.

As for bar lines...you can't compete with all the supermarket deals and the profits are rubbish.In the old days we made a killing out of last minute Easter eggs and Christmas gear when the big boys were clearing stocks...but you don't get the deals now...the supermarkets have moved in on that business too.

I had a professional set up and used to do well...but it died a death along with the markets over the last few years.

Sorry to be a spoilsport,but those are the facts.

[​IMG]

#12 poohdog, Jan 24, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2012
  13. Staysee

Staysee PetForums VIP

i have a food hygiene certificate....parents had a cafe and i now work in a bakery so im all up to date IF i did food!

My parents are doing toasties and some healthy veggie options and on thier first day they made a £20 profit [after expenses taken out] and had compliments back and people buying the healthy veggie option to take home for tea, so they've already made an impression! haha

Im well aware of the public liability insurance as i've watched my mum and dad set thiers up over the last few weeks. I know how it works so im thinking of doing it for myself.

I like the idea of the £1 market stall....but again what would you sell on it? Because theres a cheap odds n sods shop already off the main street.

One idea i had, which im not sure how it'd take off would be from a shop i used to love, they sold last seasons clothes at a much cheaper price, some of it would be designer too if you looked at every piece of clothing and every shoe haha i wouldnt mind doing that but theres a big chance of thievery with that and not everyone wants to buy clothes or shoes or jewlery every day

14. Cranmer

Cranmer PetForums VIP

First off, your parents should add cow into that Veggie bean pot.

Second off, to gain advantage over the high street show shops, steal their shoes and sell them on.

You'll thank me tomorrow.

15. Staysee

Staysee PetForums VIP

Why add meat into a veggie bean pot?

16. poohdog

poohdog PetForums VIP

It doesn't matter where you go...there will always be a store down the road selling the same thing.

The idea of a pound stall is to sell what people buy daily...cheap soap powder,dusters,tea towels,loo rolls,clothes line, etc. In spring...seeds,cheap fertilizers,plant pots,seed trays.

There's no end to your choices if there's a surplus line going cheap at the warehouse no matter what it is.

17. Valanita

Valanita PetForums VIP

Looked a good set up. Shame you had to stop due to lack of trade.

Our market is doing well, it's under cover though there are a few outside pitches, but most, who are there all week, seem to make a living from it. We, daughter & I, though 1st & 3rd Saturday's of every month, are classed as casual, but we always get the same place to sell at, we are inside. To us it's a hobby & not a business, Daughter is employed full time & I am retired.

18. poohdog

poohdog PetForums VIP

My set up was a lot bigger than just the trailer...I used to be very busy a few years back.

[​IMG]

The point of my rather cautionary post is to warn people of the situation out there.Many unemployed see the markets as a way out of joblessness.But it's a hard game now and easy to trip up if you spend a lot setting up.
    I'll guarantee that a lot of traders are claiming benefits too and working on the side...especially on car boots.
    To find a good market nowadays is hard...look round the country and you will find plenty of pitches.Because regular traders can't make a profit on them anymore.Profitable markets are rare,and pitches will be already taken if they're any good.

An example here is Sneinton Market in the center of Nottingham.Years back you could wait ten years to get a pitch on there...This picture was taken two years ago at 9am on the Saturday market.The only one to take money is the fruit and veg who buys in bulk and sells cheap.The rest is just the odd car booter and traders that pack in after a week or two.

That's shopping today...packed supermarkets and dead markets and high streets..

[​IMG]

Same market a few years ago...

[​IMG]

19. RAINYBOW

RAINYBOW PetForums VIP

TBH the only thing i see selling well at markets these days is posh nosh and expensive handcraft stuff (kind of Cath Kidstony).

I do live in Cambridge to be fair so thats not likely to be replicated across the country.

The ostrich burger stall does a roaring trade :)

What about handicraft supplies ?. Very trendy at the moment and the Hobbycraft shops are well overpriced. You could sell handmade stuff alongside it if you know a good crafter who will go in with you (that is if you arent any good yourself)

If you have the time stalk the Kids nearly New sales. You have to buy the right names but you people will buy 2nd hand kids stuff if it is perfect and the right name (mini boden, Gap, Jo Jo Maman etc)

#19 RAINYBOW, Jan 25, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2012
  20. Cockerpoo lover

Cockerpoo lover PetForums VIP

As your parents have a stall why not get them to ask people what they would like to see being sold? and/or do you own survey.

You might get some ideas that way :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice