Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Had a strange situation today

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by SEVEN_PETS, Jun 11, 2010.

1. SEVEN_PETS

SEVEN_PETS PetForums VIP

Today I took Ollie to our local park for our usual morning walk. He met a staffie pup, only about 4-6 months i would say. The owners were calling her before they had even met, but she didn't listen. Ollie and the pup were playing really nicely together actually, running around, jumping over each other etc. One of the owners was calling her whilst she was playing, the other said "its ok, she's only playing". After a couple more seconds, they then started shouting at the pup, saying "come here" in a harsh tone. I held Ollie so that the pup would hopefully be easier to catch for them. The pup then ran circles around me and Ollie and the owners were getting more and more angry at the pup. They eventually caught it, told it off and then put its lead on. They walked off, saying bad girl, yanking the lead and everything.

In my mind, the pup did nothing wrong, apart from ignore their recall commands. She wasn't being aggressive to Ollie at all, although they sounded like she was about to rip his head off. They were really neurotic and the pup just ignored them completely. The pup was playing really nicely so I don't know why they stopped the game to be honest. If they had kept on walking, the pup would have soon followed them.

I suppose they know their own dog, but to me, she looked like an excitable pup who just wanted to play with Ollie. I've never met anyone panic so much when their dog is playing so nicely with others.

2. Starlite

Starlite PetForums VIP

iv'e never understood people who scold their pups when they eventually get hold of them - to me they are basically saying to the dog "come back so I can tell you off". I'd keep running too :lol:

The pup is very young too, Shorty's 6 months and when she sees another dog now she starts bouncing on the end of the leash lol, but she will chill out with time and patience.

Maybe they are new dog owners or are afraid their dog will get a bad rep because she's a staffy??

3. Jackie99

Jackie99 PetForums VIP

Sadly if their attitude continues like that, the pup will gradually pick up on their negative reaction and come to be fear aggressive around other dogs I imagine as he thinks there is something to be hyped up about.

4. dodigna

dodigna PetForums VIP

I come across more and more young staffies' owners that are becoming more and more neurotic, but the reasons seem to be the same. They are always worried their pup's rough play would be misinterpreted as aggression; many say they stopped the park walks altogether or keep themselves to themselves because of people having given them a hard time about their dog being too rough, so much so that I see some of them actually believe it :( It is very sad, but the average first time dog owner that chooses a staffie really need to grow a tough skin, the inexperience of owning a dog for the first time coupled with a couple of bad experiences with people with a judgmental attitude seems to be enough to result in a lot of very nervous owners, I see less and less staffie pups out there which is insane as the lack of socialization will only cause them problems.

I am sure you were aware their pup and Ollie were only playing and with staffords being quite vocal, but to them it might have caused anxiety. I have friends like that, when their staffiex bitch starts growling at Ray and they whack eachother they through a panic, I always have to stop them (the humans) and reassure them it's a game (on the other hand they never spot when the game is getting too much).

If you see them again you can try and relax them a little and show them when it's a game and when it's not in case you need to intervene...

5. catz4m8z

catz4m8z PetForums VIP

There is one near me that I feel very sorry for too. He is a lovely friendly Staff but the owners spend the whole walk telling him off!:mad: If he is off lead they are constantly calling him back and shouting at him and wont even let him look at another dog. The few times he has met mine he has been a perfect gent. They will end up ruining a very, sweet dog..:(
    It is so pointless too. The other day I was about to leave the park and had Adam and Heidi leashed when I looked up to see Hannah running full pelt towards the other end of the park after a bird!!:rolleyes: I just called her back like normal, then called her a soppy moo!!!:D, and gave her a treat like always when the lead went on. I dont see what shouting and hitting accomplish??

6. SEVEN_PETS

SEVEN_PETS PetForums VIP

its very sad. i had never come across it before. i don't see many staffies walking in the park, even though i live in london, you'd think i'd see hundreds. this is the first staffie i've seen in the park for about 6 months, and i go every day.

7. dodigna

dodigna PetForums VIP

like I said, pressure from the media and other dog walkers keep many staffie owners to themselves. People are getting fed up with the dirty looks and the nasty words. It is all very easy to say it is a sad thing, but it has in my experience of talking to other staffie owners been caused by other dog owners. The people on this forum are generally level headed people that don't judge a book by its cover, but trust me the average person with a dog out there isn't.

There is a friend of mine that now only walks her young staffie in not very dog busy areas or with people she knows because in so many occasions she has been reduced to tears by other dog owners because of her dog being a staffie, meaning she growls when she is playing, she is boisterous, etc she is not aggressive, but she was fed up. Some women even tried to have her banned from our local park, the same women that tried to have me and Ray banned last year when he snapped at one of their dog whilst he was repeatedly trying to steal his ball from his mouth, reason why I also avoid the busy hours or crowded areas.
    Another guy used to take his rescue staffie to the park and when I bumped into him last near my road he said he was avoiding the place because he had arguments over his dog which I know to be very friendly and submissive to other dogs.

Unless people know you personally whatever issue arise the staffie always gets the blame and it gets boring after a while especially because there are so many badly behaved dogs out there with ignorant owners and one wants to avoid trouble like I have learnt to do. If he is off leash he should be on leash, if he is on leash he should be muzzled, if he is on leash and muzzled I should not take him to the park and all because a rude dog runs up to him and harasses him or me smelling treats and he gives a growl. By avoiding all these situations in the first place I manage to get my nervous dog some confidence back and my self a far less stressful walk.

There will be a day where staffies are out of the media and there will be a new culprit to focus on, on that day you will see the staffies back in parks, in the hope the breed will not be far too damaged by then :(

8. flufffluff39

flufffluff39 PetForums VIP

My father and I took our dogs for a walk the other sunday and came across two women with a border collie off lead and a jack russell on lead. I called my dog back and she came next to me but my dads dog being only a year old wanted to play with the jack russell. The woman who had him was litterally hanging him on his lead!!! The dogs scruff was up but most probably because he was on the lead, she was sending him bad vibes and he was hanging off the ground. My father apologised but still the dog was only about my fathers dogs age anyway and most probably would have been ok :(

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice