Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Had a scare today...

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by lozb, Apr 24, 2011.

1. lozb

lozb PetForums VIP

Took Baxter up to our nearest reservoir today - had a lovely walk/swim & he met a friend from last summer and had a good play in the water with her (gorgeous Rottie).
    We went to walk back along the reservoir, then through some woods back to the car... had to walk over a break in the wall, with a stone step thingy.. I went first, Baxter jumped and then got stuck :eek:
    Flaming flexi-lead had got caught in the gap between step and wall and had him trapped.... I honestly for a split second thought I had a near-to-dead dog :( I had to lift his body up whilst undoing his lead so he could get loose from this make-shift 'noose' the lead had created... I've never worked so fast & so hard to do something so quickly... was on the verge of screaming for help but thought I'd best put my efforts into getting him free..

As soon as he was free he, of course, got down, waggy tail and carried on sniffing... :rolleyes:

I might have panicked a little bit more than required in the circumstances but you know when your hearts racing and you just go on auto-pilot?

*note to self - never let dog jump over anything on extended lead again...

2. Nico0laGouldsmith

Nico0laGouldsmith PetForums VIP

wow that sounds truly awful, I would have panicked to0!!!

I'm very over protective of my animals and I treat my little dog like a baby, even in the garden I check on her every 2 minutes! When I had 2 dogs if we went anywhere near water I would be practically crying if he decided to go for a swim because I was so scared he would get washed away or something hahahah I'm so sad!

I once ran down the hard shoulder of a motorway (got out of my car and everything) to get a dog that was running down there too. . . I couldn't have gone home knowing he could have got hit by a car! His owner came and picked him up and he was just like "thanks bye" I was furious, how could someone be aware that their dog ended up on the motorway and not even be worried?!

My dog proved to be a very good girl today actually, she got out in the other garden where we keep the ducks and chickens and she ran straight past them all and went over to my dad who was doing a bit of DIY! Could have been nasty if she'd gone for any of them!

Well Done for saving your dog!

3. portiaa

portiaa PetForums VIP

Glad he's okay now, well done for untrapping him! :)

4. sunshine80

sunshine80 PetForums VIP

I would have got a scare and panicked as well. I am terrible at letting Sonny run and and jumping over the wall with his extending lead on although it is slightly different as the ground is higher on the side he jumps to so he should be OK if it was ever to get stuck (might not risk it in future though). My scare was Sonny managed to get stuck under he shed today - Dad had moved the brick at the front to get something and Sonny went under. Dad had to go and guide him out and he had to do his comando crawl to get back out the space - god knows how he got in there in the first place :rolleyes:

5. rona

rona Guest

Eeek. Amazing where the strength comes from isn't it?
    I had one hanging upside down on a wire fence once :eek:
    How's the leg doing?

6. lozb

lozb PetForums VIP

Glad Sonny managed to get from under the shed!! x
    It is amazing rona - Holding up half a 34kg dog whilst undoing his lead took some doing but done it was! Was scary, he felt like (literally) a 'dead weight' - had a thousand thoughts running through my mind in those split seconds!!
    His right leg seemed fine today, thanks. I'm still watching his left leg more than his right - I half see a 'sticking out' walk with it but he could be over-compensating? I've put him back on metacam for a bit, not loads but 'just in case'. x

7. lucyandsandy

lucyandsandy PetForums VIP

That must have been so scary well done for reacting quickly! So glad I have a small dog now just incase something happens!

8. thedogsmother

thedogsmother PetForums VIP

Flippin eck hun, that must have been terrifying, it is a lovely walk but I will be thinking of him everytime I go over that style now.

9. lozb

lozb PetForums VIP

You know the one I mean? Where there's a gate next to it but that means p1ssing about with the lead? Guess what I'll be doing in future.... yup... p1ssing about with the lead!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice