UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Me, my little sister and our nephew were playing with Ripley and Milo, and balloons. While they were eagerly waiting for more balloons I noticed a swelling on the rear right of Ripley's leg, had my sister get my camera and took a few shots.

It looks like an abscess but I wanted to hear your thoughts first. I am gonna bring it up with my parents and see about getting him to the vet to have it looked at. He doesn't seem bothered about it, he isn't limping at all either, and isn't turning his attention to it.

Needless to say, I already have one dog (Tucker) needing dental treatment and a check on his heart, and possibly medication. Now, I have another dog that could possibly need surgery. I could really use a lotto win right about now..

Thing about Ripley is he's likely going to need sedated. He does NOT like being physically restrained and will put up a violent fight, he's not aggressive, he is just very anxious and being held freaks him out.

Attachments

·
Still missing my boys
42,322 Posts
They both seem to have damage to their hocks :confused:
Do you know how they do that?

They look like kind of callouses that have occurred to protect the joints because of constant trauma :confused:

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
I believe they often get these swellings as a result of lying on hard surfaces.

Similar swellings can also be due to a rupture of the joint. My own dog had a rupture that quickly developed into a joint infection and sepsis.

Not suggesting it is as serious as this in your case but i would get it checked out.

G

·
It does look like all are affected to a degree, do they spend a lot of time lying on the concrete path/yard?

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
looks like a bursa to me.
Probs long term trauma due to bouncing on the hind legs resulting in excess production of synovial fluid to help try and reduce friction to the joint.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
They don't really lie around (and when they do they only seem to lie on their sides), they're either sitting, or jumping alot, but it is on hard ground, we don't have any grass and they're not allowed inside. I guess they must be knocking those patches off the ground when they jump and it's causing the baldness? They have kennels, each with several different blankets, so they have a soft bed..

Honestly, I wasn't too bothered about the balding at first, :eek: I thought it was just ''wear and tear'' because they were always sitting or when they jump/land they tend to fall back on their hocks, and times when they were at the vets, the vets didn't seem concerned either, but I panicked today when I saw Ripley's swelling. When Ripley moves, the swelling seems to wobble, like it's not connected to anything under the skin...

I am gonna get it checked out tho. I hate the thought of leaving lumps that seem to suddenly appear - This could be nothing major, and then, it could be something really bad, and I don't wanna risk that by not having it seen.

·
Registered
39,811 Posts
Me, my little sister and our nephew were playing with Ripley and Milo, and balloons. While they were eagerly waiting for more balloons I noticed a swelling on the rear right of Ripley's leg, had my sister get my camera and took a few shots.

It looks like an abscess but I wanted to hear your thoughts first. I am gonna bring it up with my parents and see about getting him to the vet to have it looked at. He doesn't seem bothered about it, he isn't limping at all either, and isn't turning his attention to it.

Needless to say, I already have one dog (Tucker) needing dental treatment and a check on his heart, and possibly medication. Now, I have another dog that could possibly need surgery. I could really use a lotto win right about now..

Thing about Ripley is he's likely going to need sedated. He does NOT like being physically restrained and will put up a violent fight, he's not aggressive, he is just very anxious and being held freaks him out.
When he lays or sits does he favour that side more? Although it does look like both hocks have a swelling. If it was an abcess I would expect it to feel hot or hotter then the surrounding areas. It could be something called a hygroma,
you get them where skin passes over bone and there is no padding. its also known as a false bursa. Elbows and hocks and sometimes hips are the classic places for them to form. They are just fluid filled swellings that form, but they can get infected and sometimes discharge too. Hygromas dont usually cause pain unless infected there are often more unsighly then anything else.
I believe they can be drained and obviouly in the case on infection need ABs

·
Registered
39,811 Posts
They don't really lie around (and when they do they only seem to lie on their sides), they're either sitting, or jumping alot, but it is on hard ground, we don't have any grass and they're not allowed inside. I guess they must be knocking those patches off the ground when they jump and it's causing the baldness? They have kennels, each with several different blankets, so they have a soft bed..

Honestly, I wasn't too bothered about the balding at first, :eek: I thought it was just ''wear and tear'' because they were always sitting or when they jump/land they tend to fall back on their hocks, and times when they were at the vets, the vets didn't seem concerned either, but I panicked today when I saw Ripley's swelling. When Ripley moves, the swelling seems to wobble, like it's not connected to anything under the skin...

I am gonna get it checked out tho. I hate the thought of leaving lumps that seem to suddenly appear - This could be nothing major, and then, it could be something really bad, and I don't wanna risk that by not having it seen.
Thats how they usually start round balding circles, sometimes you get wrinkled roughened hardened skin more like a callus some just stay like that you can use vitamin e oil, aloe veral gel, or camrosa ointment at that stage, sometimes though hygromas do form as well.

Only other thought could even be a lipoma (fatty lump) Kobi and daisy have had them taken off their legs. But to be honest where it is and the previous bald area I would say it could well be a hygroma its in a classic place for it. Where a pressure point and trauma would occur.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
When he lays or sits does he favour that side more? Although it does look like both hocks have a swelling. If it was an abcess I would expect it to feel hot or hotter then the surrounding areas. It could be something called a hygroma,
you get them where skin passes over bone and there is no padding. its also known as a false bursa. Elbows and hocks and sometimes hips are the classic places for them to form. They are just fluid filled swellings that form, but they can get infected and sometimes discharge too. Hygromas dont usually cause pain unless infected there are often more unsighly then anything else.
I believe they can be drained and obviouly in the case on infection need ABs
When he is sitting, he sits on both hocks. When he is lying, either side doesn't matter, he doesn't seem to have a favourite side when he's lying. It's why I said the lump doesn't seem to be bothering him, but it is bothering me!

I'd think it was tramua more as, previously said, when they jump and land they do fall back on their hocks for support when they jump/land, and Ripley is a more powerful jumper than Milo..

That said, I am still gonna get him to the vet.

·
Registered
39,811 Posts
When he is sitting, he sits on both hocks. When he is lying, either side doesn't matter, he doesn't seem to have a favourite side when he's lying. It's why I said the lump doesn't seem to be bothering him, but it is bothering me!

I'd think it was tramua more as, previously said, when they jump and land they do fall back on their hocks for support when they jump/land, and Ripley is a more powerful jumper than Milo..

That said, I am still gonna get him to the vet.
Most deffinately get it sorted out its the only way your going to find out for certain.

·
Registered
13,811 Posts
Looks like a hygroma. Kali had one on her elbow and they usually get them in jointed area's. Once they rupture they can be a b*gger to heal.
hygromas in dogs - Google Search

Oops - sorry didn't know SD had already posted this, lol. Sixstar had one recently. The vet tried all sorts to heal Kali's - AB's, Steroids, Fuciderm and NSAID's - nothing worked. I eventually used Colloidal silver both orally and topically, plus a long sleeved T shirt to stop her licking it. She had it for a year before I could safely remove the T shirt and the colloidal Silver helped it heal faster than anything the vet had tried.

·
Registered
20,334 Posts
Both your dogs look like they have problems. there are sores on the feet as well as the hocks.
I think it is a management problem. I take it they are kennelled and have a concrete run and because they are wanting to be with you they are jumping up the wire mesh a lot and landing on their hocks. They need treatment but I think they will not improve without a change in the way they are kept.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Both your dogs look like they have problems. there are sores on the feet as well as the hocks.
I think it is a management problem. I take it they are kennelled and have a concrete run and because they are wanting to be with you they are jumping up the wire mesh a lot and landing on their hocks. They need treatment but I think they will not improve without a change in the way they are kept.
Kennel is fenced, not meshed, and always open (unless for when a situation calls for the dogs to be closed in, such as when the back gate is open to move bins out or let the coal man in) - Curious to hear what you suggest for improving the conditions they are kept in.

All my dogs were kept on concrete and honestly it's only these two that are showing something that's relating to the environment. I'm not trying to argue or defend myself, I'm confused as to why this has happened, and I'm curious to know what you'd do if it was your case.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.