Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Guys i'm worrried about mika

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by ad_1980, Jul 7, 2009.

1. ad_1980

ad_1980 PetForums VIP

Ok for the past two days Mika has had diarrhea spells. it started Monday - my mum came down to find he'd done wet poos everywhere inc Dante's bed! I thought it may have been because on Sunday he'd been left home a lot longer than usual for the first time and he'd been holding it for god knows how long until we'd gotten home and the systems were all coming out from the day before. But today he's done it again and i've had to give him a bath because the sogginess had stuck to his bum. Today he's also been quite clingy and not rather playful.

I'm worried. I know chicken and rice seem to help an upset tummy but i can't for the life of me cook chicken nor will i be home to feed him tonight so i can't exactly feed him anything myself...but can anyone suggest anything other than chicken for me to give him esp if he's like this tomorrow? I'm off work tomorrow so if he is like this i'm going to take him to the vet.

2. Jazzy

Jazzy PetForums VIP

Scrambled egg is nice and light if you haven't got chicken. I gave it to my pup the other week when she had diarrhoea. I took her to the vets and they gave me the Royal Canin chicken and rice wet food which really helped. Think you can buy it online too. The Pro-Kolin paste is very good too.

3. Kinski

Kinski PetForums VIP

After 2 days I would be getting the vet to check him out, my pair had exactly the same last week and they had a gastric bug, vet gave them an injection and tablets, they are now almost back to normal.
    Cooking chicken is easy, get some chicken breast, shove it in some tin foil, bung it in the oven ( gas 5 or 6 ) for 20/30 mins ( depends on the size of the chicken breast ), check it to see that it's white all the way through and that's it done.

Terri

4. LostGirl

LostGirl PetForums VIP

Buy a pre-cooked chicken that should last him two days just take it off the bone :) or if you have a george forman grill get defrosted chicken breast and wack it on there chicken is realy really easy to cook!

Scambled egg or white fish we were told we ok as well, hope he gets better soon.x

5. rona

rona Guest

White fish is another option, and I use this for Alfie as he cannot tolerate chicken.
    There are an awful lot of gastric problems around at the moment, if it goes on for more than three days even with an adult dog, they should be taken to the vet, if a pup or very young dog it should be a lot sooner.

6. justenuf

justenuf PetForums Member

Boiled white rice usually helps

7. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

Is his diet still being chopped and changed?

8. ad_1980

ad_1980 PetForums VIP

Honestly. I think so. He's on bakers puppy one day and eukanuba the next.

I have tried to get my parents to listen but no one seems to care at home about what i think so i've given up.

When i'm at home i give him eukanuba because after reading whats in bakers it disgusts me to even give that to him.

I will take him to the vet tomorrow as i am off work if he's still like that in the morning. I can't take him now because i'm at work. I hate shift work sometimes. I don't mind being at work but when it interferes with me taking care of a sick puppy i do!

9. gesic

gesic PetForums VIP

I would get ready to duck re food...u might get some stick for the food u give;) lol!
    In all honesty I would not give him anything to eat today just water little n often. Then tommorrow start a bland diet.
    It sounds as though he has had an upset and his tummy could do with a rest from rushing all that food through!

10. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

It could be all the dietry changes. I think your family really needs to pick a food and stick to it.

Maybe this bout of the runs will make them realise how important a regular diet is.

If you can get them too, then a bland diet for a few days should help. I think you are right in planning to take him to the vets in the morning if there is no improvement.

11. ad_1980

ad_1980 PetForums VIP

Trust me i don't care what anyone says at home about him just having an upset tummy he is going to the vet tomorrow if he's not any better. And if they start on about 'money' and vet bills i am going to tell them its my money that's paying for it not theirs.

We already lost one dog through just 'seeing' how he goes after 2 weeks - i'll be damned if we let it happen again. Ok so woody's organs were failing anyway the vets had said that they couldn't have done anything if we had taken him earlier anyway. But i will not let anything happen to Mika. I already lost one baby in the last 7 months i do not need to lose another!

12. tiddlypup

tiddlypup PetForums VIP

i recently bought a great dane who came with a very well known expensive food,he was doing pools of stinking brown water,i put him on boiled chicken n rice for a week then slowly added chappie complete,chappie is great for sensitive tums,used this with great success on lots of dogs ive rescued over the years, if the dog is walked near water =ponds,dirty puddles,you must see the vet to rule out giardia,this can be treated with antibiotics
    you have to get through to your parents not to keep changing food,id get it off bakers
    hope alls well soon:)

13. brackensmom

brackensmom PetForums VIP

hi just wanted to say hope that you pup is feeling better soon.

1 person likes this.
  14. PoisonGirl

PoisonGirl Banned

If your paren'ts don't listen, when you take him to the vet, tell the vet you are concerned that his diet is being changed. The vet should pont out that he should be on a consistend diet.

I can't stand people who ignore diet advice! My oh's mates mum feeds his jrt bakers even though i told her what it was like, but she gives him bakers for breakfast, scrambled egg for lunch and some other brand for dinner, then wonders why his tummy is dodgy! Grr.

Your parents are probably making mika worse by chopping and changing his diet, I had stern words with next door for doing this, they were buying whatever brand was on offer!

x

15. ad_1980

ad_1980 PetForums VIP

Thanks i will. My parents think Mika gets bored of his food so that's why we 'alternate'. I think he does get bored but i can't think of anything else to help instead of alternating mixes! I knew this would happen.

if he gets really ill i'm blaming them!

16. Tigerneko

Tigerneko PetForums VIP

He won't get bored if you don't feed him anything else :)

if you just leave down whatever you're giving him (just one brand), eventually he will eat it. If your family keep chopping and changing the food every time he sticks his nose up at it, he'll learn that he can be as picky as he wants and he will play up to it!

If you take him to the vet (I would anyway - if only just to get your family to realise he needs a strict diet) then they will prescribe him the best food and hopefully your family will have no other option but to feed him the prescribed food :) could you not throw the other foods in the bin? A waste of money and it might get you in trouble but if it's going to benefit your puppies tum ;)

17. ad_1980

ad_1980 PetForums VIP

Ok i am going to show my parents this thread if they don't listen.

I know my dad will give me this lecture about how he's owned dogs his whole life and knows about dogs :( Why don't people just listen to me?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice