Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Gutted

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by rainbowshoes, May 14, 2010.

1. rainbowshoes

rainbowshoes PetForums Newbie

We had our home check today to see if we can adopt Teddy the recue greyhound and we cant have him because we live in a maisonette so we have to climb a short staircase from our front door to our living areas and Teddy has never seen stairs :(
    Im so upset I really really wanted him to be part of our family :(

2. DKDREAM

DKDREAM PetForums VIP

i am so sorry yet another stupid excuse why a home isnt good enough..... You must be deverstaed. I hope you find a dog soon.

3. rainbowshoes

Thanks for replying :) I think its a silly reason too, we built a big 6ft fence for him he and my son get on soo well and we would have so muh love, time and patience for him :(

4. crazybones

crazybones PetForums VIP

thats such a rubbish reason i have never dealt with rescue's when it comes to adopting but is there no way of making them change their mind?

5. lorilu

lorilu PetForums VIP

Never seen stairs? what the heck is that? Is there a way to appeal? Suggest they bring Teddy over and let them watch you teach Teddy how to use stairs? My gosh.

6. Freyja

Freyja PetForums VIP

My greyhpound Button came straight from her trainer. She had never been in a house until she went to stay with my friends. My friend collected her as I couldn't get there that day as she was too far away. She never saw stairs until she came to me but it hasn't given her any problems . She soon learnt how to go up stairs she's not the keen on them but will if you tell her to. William loved going upstairs and give him half a chance you would find him snoozing on our bed.

7. 2Hounds

2Hounds PetForums VIP

Thats a shame, Teddy probably wouldn't have a clue how to climb stairs as there's not a need in racing kennels but they can certainly be taught, both of my boys could get up & down with some assistance in an afternoon and soon had the confidence to go on their own (mainly downstairs) after a few days. Out of interest are they solid backed stairs or open backed?

Don't give up there are plenty of other greyhound rescues about and they won't all have the same opinions, give White Lodge RGT a call :) They often allow trial weekends so you could see how you get on with the stairs.

#7 2Hounds, May 14, 2010
    Last edited: May 14, 2010
  8. Freyja

Freyja PetForums VIP

Where abouts are you Greyhound Gap are based in Stoke on Trent but rehome all over the country. I know they have some lovely greyhounds at the moment most of which have been living in foster homes so would probably know about stairs.

pm me if you want the link to their site.

9. rainbowshoes

I dont think so she wouldnt budge when i spoke to her. Teddy has been there a long while too. I dont understand her logic I really dont :confused1:
    Il check out white lodge when ive gotten over Teddy, thanks :)
    Im in rutland (between leicestershire and lincolnshire)

10. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

Thats utter madness.

You can take your dog for a walk and have to go up and down stairs. Especially if you walk in a town or city.

Was this person just a homechecker? Could you ask for another one, a sort of second opinion?

11. lisa0307

lisa0307 PetForums VIP

Exactly...what a poor excuse..it's no wonder people go to breeders for pets and so many animals are left in shelters when they give stupid reasons like this...:mad:

12. rainbowshoes

The homechecker was fine, he said il have to coax him up and down the stairs at first ect it was the owner of the rescue that didnt want him coming here because of the stairs!

13. 2Hounds

2Hounds PetForums VIP

How strange :confused1: and surely they could of told you the stairs would be an issue before the home check and saved you getting attached to Teddy.

14. dobermummy

dobermummy Banned

that is so cr@p, im so sorry.

15. cat43

cat43 PetForums Member

ludicrous!!! we had a similar experience with rescue many many years ago, i was a public house landlady at the time , and we had the pub, a high walled ample gated courtyard, and a seperate flat the other side of the courtyard.
    we were turned down by one of the large rescues purely because our yard was fully paved and had no grass!!!they had no issues with our accomodation, or the size of the yard, simply the fact we didnt have grass.
    in hindsight it did me a favour as we then found a smaller rescue out in the sticks and when we went there looking for a large dog they happened to have an akita in ( had never seen one before as this was nearly 20 years ago),with which i instantly fell in love, and from that day on i have been owned by akitas lol.

16. LostGirl

LostGirl PetForums VIP

How stupid :(

Maybe ask them why they didnt tell you this in the first place, nearly all the homes here have steps to get to them so they wouldnt rehome many around here

17. rainbowshoes

To be honest i think she was making excuses she really seemed to want to keep him. Cat43 thats a stupid reason!! at least you got your Akita though! beautiful dogs :)
    2hounds has suggested white lodge, a rescue near me.Ive called and they agree that it is a ridiculous reason not to rehome and we are hopefully going to have a look at some greyhounds next week :)
    You guys are all so nice and helpful, thankyou
    Gill x

18. hawksport

hawksport Banned

Good luck again then

19. alaun

alaun PetForums VIP

I'm sorry to hear it didn't work out with Teddy. Good luck for next week. I'm sure you'll find the right dog to become part of your family.

20. rainbowshoes

Thankyou, really had my heart set on teddy though so I don't know how hard it will be to find another. It sounds weird but I miss him even though we never had him. Is that odd?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice