Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Gurgling intestines

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by westieowner, Jan 14, 2020.

1. westieowner

westieowner PetForums Junior

Last week my westie was off colour. The next day he ate a bit for breakfast but by afternoon his stomach was very very loud gurgles.. he kept trying to make himself sick..but couldn't be. The following day he seemed perfectly ok but the day after that mid afternoon the gurgles started. It's more in the intestines than the stomach. He was unhappy and restless I took him to the vet on Friday morning who gave him a ranitidine injection, antibiotic tablets and zitac. He suggested a 'white diet for the next few days. I got him some turkey slices and gave that to him with some James Wellbeloved turkey kibble and he ate everything.. he had his usual white fish at bedtime and for 3 days was great.. bowl clean after every meal. Yesterday I decided that it might be better to give him the Natures Menu turkey pouches as it has such a good reputation. He loved it.. last night he didnt want any supper and this morning his intestines are making a heck of a noise . Hes tried to make himself sick but cant and is lying their looking sad. Is the Natures menu food too rich?
    I dont know what to do!

2. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

I would go back to the food he was ok on and leave him on it for a week then experiment a bit so when you go back to the vet you can give them a good idea on whether it is a food intolerance.

rona likes this.
  3. rona

rona Still missing my boys

What is his normal food?

If your dog has a sensitive tum, then I would not be messing around with changing diet, this can only exacerbate the problem. If the JWB & white fish worked stick with it.
    The odd gurgle in the tummy could be just something picked up on a walk or in the garden, a treat, no need to rush to change a food that's worked fine

How old is your Westie?

#3 rona, Jan 14, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2020
    westieowner and Torin. like this.
  4. westieowner

Hes just turned 9. I think the gurgles are as a result of not eating.. so it's a bit of a vicious circle really.. once he gets them it takes hours for them to stop.

5. Mum2Heidi

Mum2Heidi PetForums VIP

100% what Rona said.
    Too many changes too quickly will make an already sensitive tum even more so.
    My Westie cross has had lots of tum issues and I’ve learned the hard way.
    Go back to the bland diet that was working. Nothing else! Possibly soak the kibble to make it easier to digest and when you’ve had a good week of normality. Gradually get back to his normal diet.

Try offering a little food every couple of hours so his tum isn’t empty for long. You may find feeding more meals a day will be better going forward.
    Heidi has 4 meals a day. We stick to the same food all the time but she has a variety of healthy treats. She’s nearly 11

rona and westieowner like this.
  6. rona

rona Still missing my boys

Just noticed that you had a similar thread in August 2018. Has your vet suggested Zantac?

This worked quite well for our dog who had IBD and a little dog I walked with Pancreatitis.
    I would be slightly worried about your dog having pancreatitis,

7. westieowner

I've fed him bits of cooked turkey with kibble for 10 days and hes been happy to . Hes not wanted the fish at bedtime.
    This morning he didnt want anything. We had a good walk and back home his tim is gurgling away again . Hes been in the garden and eaten grass and sicked that up .. no bile just sticky phlegm.
    I gave him some natural yoghurt last night.. maybe it s not right for him.

8. Mum2Heidi

Mum2Heidi PetForums VIP

Oh that’s a shame:(
    Sounds as though you need to stick to turkey/kibble for longer.
    The yogurt probably was the problem. The change more than anything
    Have you considered something like Bionic Biotics? I used it when Heidi had her issues.
    It really helped.
    I kept her on it for a few months and always have a pouch here just in case.

westieowner likes this.
  9. westieowner

Hmm I did wonder about the yogurt. I had half the pot and thought it tasted odd.
    I got up during the night to have some gaviscon.. didnt think it was the yoghurt but..

10. Barbara Inseal

Barbara Inseal PetForums Newbie

Hi, I'm new to the group, was looking for anyone with the same situation to my dog Stanley, came across this thread. My boxer Stan 8 1/2 has been suffering a gurgly tummy occasionally over a few months, didn't think too much at first, as have had previous dogs that have had it, but it seemed to be getting worse. What you described Westieowner was so similar to Stan. Went to the vet who gave various meds told to give cooked chicken and rice but still the gurgles came, about a week and a half to 2 weeks apart and always started early morning. Anyway after several trips to vet, they decided faecal samples should be done, they came back clear, so blood samples next, they came back showing Stan had very low folate. Evidentally it points to small intestine inflamation, cause unknown but possibly a food allergy. He's been on a raw diet for about 3 years, he's now 3 weeks into an elimination diet, which he has to be on for 8 weeks. So far there's been no gurgles, I'm praying that it's a food allergy and nothing more sinister. He's taking a folate suppliment and probiotics. The only obvious symptoms were the gurgles and rather light coloured poo. I was worried about pancreatitis but his blood test did not point to that. I hope your little dog gets better soon.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice