Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

guppy tank mates

Discussion in 'Fish Keeping Chat' started by Alisha12, Jul 2, 2020.

1. Alisha12

Alisha12 PetForums Newbie

Hey, guys! I'm a new here and I'm totally new into this aquarium-fishes sphere. A few days ago was my birthday, and my friends gave me a tank and three guppies. I want to buy other fishes, but I need a little help. From your experience, which fishes will be the best to buy, or maybe, someone can recommend me quality blogs dedicated to fishes, where I can find that info?
    Thanks in advance!

2. magpie

magpie PetForums VIP

Hi & welcome to the forum!

Before we can advise about what other fish you might be able to have in with your guppies we'd need a little bit more information about your set up.

What size is the tank? Either in litres or just the measurements.

Do you know if it was cycled before your friends gave it to you? Or how long it was set up before the fish were added?
    Cycling a tank completely usually takes around 4-6 weeks, so if it hasn't been done you will want to hold off on getting any more fish just yet until you are sure the cycle has caught up. Info on cycling a tank here, and honestly, understanding the nitrogen cycle really is one of the most important parts of fishkeeping, so many problems can be avoided by understanding how to keep your water quality good.

And on that note, do you have a test kit to check your water parameters?
    You should never add more fish to a tank until a] the tank is cycled and b] the water is tested and the results are as they should be. A good quality liquid test kit can be a lifesaver! More info on fishkeeping basics including test kits here.

If you can answer those as best you can, then someone will be able to point you in the right direction.
    And congrats on the new fish! :D

3. Estell91

Estell91 PetForums Newbie

Hey, Alisha! I congratulate you on your birthday, and you know, an aquarium is a great present. It seems to me that you have great and lovely friends because it's a perfect present! Guppies are my favorite fishes because I find them very beautiful. I have up to 10 guppies in my tank. Also, I have neons, rainbows, acanthophthalmus kuhlii, and danio, and I can say that they all get along well with each other.

#3 Estell91, Jul 3, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2020
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice