Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Gunky eyes

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by flev, Mar 28, 2011.

1. flev

flev PetForums Member

Hi all - yet another question from this new cat slave!

I noticed today that Timothy had small blobs of blackish gunk just outside the inner corner of his eyes. He cleaned himself whilst I was watching, and removed it successfully himself. I've not noticed this before, but if he's successfully cleaning it then it could be a regular occurrence. He later let me swab over the areas with a wet cotton bud, and there was no discolouration on the cotton bud.

I've got a vet's visit booked for Thursday evening to sort out getting flea treatment for him (preventative, I don't think he has a problem at present) so can talk to the vet then about this and get some advice. Do you think it's ok to wait until then, or should I be contacting them sooner? :confused:

2. Paddypaws

Paddypaws PetForums VIP

TBH, most cats have some level of discharge from the eye. It is normally clear to opaque but picks up dirt and dust so often ends up looking darker. Obviously it is more obvious on lighter coloured cats.
    If both his eyes are wide open and discharge is minimal, not green or pus like, I am pretty sure it is fine to wait and mention it to your vet at your scheduled check up. If it seems to worsen indicating an infection then obviously take action asap. Cooled, boiled water may safely be used to clean the area.

3. flev

flev PetForums Member

Thanks, that's reassuring. His eyes are wide open and don't seem in any way inflamed, so hopefully it's 'normal' discharge. I'll ask the vet to double-check for me to be on the safe side on Thursday.

(It's so nice to have a site like this for someone like me who's new to it all and panicking about every little change in her cat, so thank you very much)

4. Paddypaws

Paddypaws PetForums VIP

You are very welcome.
    It is never too early to get your cat used to grooming....brushing or combing the coat, checking ears teeth and toe nails....and wiping away those unsightly eye bogies!
    Grooming is good for your cat, allows bonding time for both of you, and allows you to keep close tabs on physical well being.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice