Gundog training for a pet spaniel

Discussion in 'Gundogs & Gundog Training' started by Serena AB, Aug 22, 2016.

1. Serena AB

Serena AB PetForums Newbie

Can anybody give me some advice on gundog training? We have a 2 1/2-yr-old cocker spaniel bitch (sold to us as a show, but we have our suspicions about that, think she must be a mix of show/working).

I recently discovered that my husband has 'working dad guilt' over the dog :p even though there's usually somebody at home with her and she's a perfectly happy little thing (unless she catches wind of an f - o - x which unfortunately is a problem in our area...) So we're looking at gundog training as a way for him to spend more focussed time with her.

Is this something that could work? Or are most gundog clubs a bit more serious and wouldn't want somebody there who's just learning for a bit of interest for them and the dog? We're in Lewisham so I guess we would have to travel a fair bit to get to our nearest gundog club!

2. ZoeR

ZoeR PetForums Newbie

Hi - There is a chap who I went to when Piper was younger for an intro to it - he does weekend B&B and training for owner and gun dog. workingcanines.co.uk Reasonably priced and very effective - we are looking to go back to him. in the weekend - we went the basics of whistle training were taught and with himself and mandy his partner are super welcoming!

3. smokeybear

smokeybear PetForums VIP

4. sophiacole553

sophiacole553 PetForums Junior

I just heard