Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Gumtree and the excuses people use for 'rehoming' (making money off) their pets

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by erinn, Nov 2, 2012.

1. erinn

erinn Guest

I don't know why I go on the 'pets for sale' section and normally avoid it because it REALLY riles me up seeing people charging ridiculous amounts for puppies/kittens and selling their 'much loved' pets but this one I just saw takes the biscuit:

Beautiful 3 year old male cat for sale. He is neutered. Gorgeous toffee colour, with white.

Only Rehoming as downsizing.

He would prefer an indoor country home.

Downsizing to what - a shoebox???!!!

And I don't think I've ever heard of an 'outdoor' country home either:lol:

Seriously wetting myself here about this ad. Not sure if anyone else will see the humor but I thought it was pretty effing funny!!:D

2. Megan345

Megan345 PetForums VIP

Why does it matter if it's in the country if it's indoors anyway? The downsizing bit is odd too :confused:

3. Wiz201

Wiz201 PetForums VIP

I own two cats in a 'shoe box' sized mid terrace house and have no issue with space for their needs so I don't think that's an excuse.

4. Sarah+Hammies

Sarah+Hammies PetForums VIP

People come up with all sorts of excuses for getting rid of their pets. I've seen some ridiculous ones like the lady selling her hamster because she had just found out she was pregnant and could no longer look after the hamster...Seriously?? :rolleyes::

5. Phoenix&Charlie'sMum

Phoenix&Charlie'sMum PetForums VIP

downsizing probably refers to the amount of cats they have. i bet they have a number of cats are have decided which ones to get rid. :(

It is sad, but rehoming places are soo full up it is near impossible to gain a rescue space. I cant understand it with this one, but some people i can understand them advertising privately. I couldnt/wouldnt do it myself but i can see where they come from some times.

6. newfiesmum

newfiesmum Banned

The phrase that makes me angry with all these adverts is when they say "through no fault of his/her own". Of course it bloody isn't her fault? She's a dog!

I have a small mid terrace house and two giant breed dogs as well as my part time spaniel. I have the bare minimum of furniture to make room, so what room does a cat take up.

I read one once where they wanted a new home for the dog because they had redecorated and he didn't go with the new colour scheme. What really got me was that they obviously thought that was a very acceptable reason, or they wouldn't have put it in the advert.

Someone else advertising for a new home for a 16 year old dog because moving to new house. Obviously don't want a smelly old dog in it.

I would like to rehome the lot of them, put them in kennels or something.:mad:

7. Megan345

Megan345 PetForums VIP

I'd like to do a lot more than rehome them.

8. Thorne

Thorne PetForums VIP

Just seen an ad on gumtree for a 9wk old Aylestone Bulldog (one of the "reconstructed" Bulldog breeds).
    I wonder how many of these "genuine" people contact the breeders of their dogs before reselling them?

9. ozrex

ozrex PetForums VIP

i worked with a woman who re-homed a great dane bitch who'd been a puppy producer at a puppy farm. She had her for about a year while she and her husband lived with her father as their new house was built. When the new house was finished the dog was re-homed. Well you couldn't have dog in a new house could you? It would make a mess of the house...........

10. Blade

Blade PetForums Junior

Not only gumtree. I have seen on numerous sites ads with ridiculous reasons as to why they were getting rid of their pets. Really annoys me.

11. LexiLou2

LexiLou2 PetForums VIP

Can i rehome the hubby as he really doesn't match the decor anymore, black and pink shorts, red t-shirt and a purple and cream loung just don't go!!

FTGH genuine reason for rehome, unfortunately not very well house trained and does snore! First come first serve.

12. shelly11

shelly11 Guest

Gumtree = dog hell

Link removed - we don't want to give them any extra publicity.

Number 1 - these are not Jack Russells
    Number 2 - look at the conditions those pups are lying in
    Number 3 - some gullible ejit will pay that money and then in a few months time re-advertise that they are selling beloved family pet as new baby is due (I've had 3 babies and was never a problem with any of the dogs we had over the years)
    Number 4 - BYB's and 'designer dogs' .......... I can't even put my thoughts on this into words!
    Number 5 - I need to stop looking at Gumtree as I only get annoyed!!

#12 shelly11, Nov 2, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 3, 2012
  13. terencesmum

terencesmum PetForums VIP

Anna will have him. ;)

14. erinn

erinn Guest

Here's another for you:

Dog being sold due to allergies - seriously? And they're only asking for £220, bargain!!:mad:

What I love is how they ask for money to ensure the dog goes to a good home - I understand a 'token' gesture to ensure it doesn't fall into the wrong hands but where do people dream up these figures from?

Take 'em out back n shoot 'em...the people, not the pets!!

#14 erinn, Nov 2, 2012
  15. erinn

erinn Guest

How do they decide which ones to keep and which ones to get rid of?:(

Some of the ads are genuine and you can tell it's heartbreaking for the person involved and can see why they cut out the middle man such as a rescue centre and try and re-home their pet to a new family they trust.

My folks live in France and recently adopted a lab from a friend of a friend who had to move back to England into sheltered housing and he couldn't take the dog with him. Broke his heart but my folks phone him every week to let him know how she's getting on and regularly send over photos of her.:smile:

Breaks his heart but small consolation that she's being loved and cared for by a new family.

16. Luz

Luz PetForums VIP

I saw a 2/3 yr old Bernese Mountain Dog on one of those sites a few weeks ago, for sale due to family circumstances £700!

17. Zayna

Zayna PetForums VIP

I dont even go on those sites anymore - just angers me.:mad:

The worst one I saw was on either gumtree or preloved, somebody wanted to swap a parrot for an xbox:cursing:

18. dorrit

dorrit PetForums VIP

These people are just inhuman...OH says they come from another species..

Our parrot came from someone who had swapped him for a puppy!
    She had had him 3 weeks and because he bit her BF the BF was going to 'wring his neck'.....

Mind you its not just dogs/pets and new homes is it? When I was in hospital for reconstructive surgury after my son was born there was a woman there having a termination because she told everyone... she had just done up her house and 'theres was no way you can have a baby around with cream coloured carpets'..

That kind of mindset needs to be banned from being around any dependant living thing.

19. holly1

holly1 PetForums VIP

Why?
    The dog doesnt belong to them anymore

20. holly1

holly1 PetForums VIP

Erm, yes.Some people do get serious allergies.
    If one of my kids developed an allergy,due to one of my pets,and it was a matter of them being on piriton till they left home,or rehoming the pet....
    I dont think I would damage my childrens internal organs,by using medications,unnecessarily.
    However,i wouldnt sell the pet.
    These things arent always black or white

#20 holly1, Nov 3, 2012
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice