UK Pet Forums Forum banner

Gulping and Retching!

2K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  IncaThePup 
#1 ·
What causes Doggy Hiccups?

My dog was having episodes of hard gulping and feels like a lump in her throat as she is swallowing but it's not there when she's fine.

When she went outside, she made a retching sound but was only a bit of frothy water came out, no bile or food, even though she's just had dinner.

I tried to encourage her to drink water thinking maybe she got something stuck in her throat but she doesn't want to drink anything even though tried to tempt her with a bit of cheese, she'd take one quick gulp of water but didn't seem to want a drink really.

I didn't know if was something like reverse sneeze? It has happened a few times before and it was really cold then, it hasn't happened all summer since about last March.

A vet told me sometimes a dog can have soft palette problems where it temporarily falls over wrong part and they feel like they're gasping for air. Due to her age he didn't want to do a scope unless it was happening really frequently.

She also seems to sound like she has a sore throat all the time when she barks or makes a noise and noisy when sleeping but I can't tell if its snoring or more like a wheeze and of course she's wide awake when vet visits.

I'm not sure if Fireworks going off as triggered it tonight but the 'hiccups' seem intermittant she's fine for a while then wil gulp a bit then it appears to go off again.

Also always seems to happen at night after she's been laid down a while.

Any tips to how I can ease the gulping when she starts? She doing it alot at minute and constantly licking lips and fireworks are going off so wondering if its stress triggering it this time?

Someone on FB has mentioned cough medicine to me cos could be mild Kennel Cough, she has no other symptoms no runny nose or temperature. They mentioned child's forumla but I only have original Benylin chesty cough in the house..would a small dose ease her throat?

Thanks

Thanks

See less See more
#2 ·
If it sounds like this it could be kennel cough

Dixon has kennel cough - YouTube

Theres some natural things to help on this link including honey especially Manuka is good
Kennel Cough Home Remedy - Natural Remedies for Kennel Cough
Theres other infor on there too.

If it is Kennel cough its an upper respiratory tract infection, and in some dogs apart from the annoying cough, that seems to be bought on by exercise too
it passes itself. You can get complications with it though too, like bacterial infection and it can go to a lower respiratory tract infection which can be a problem. Also you sometimes see discoloured discharge from the nose and runny eyes. Pups and older dogs, and ones with below parr immune systems can be especially at risk, sometimes if it is suspected its better to have them checked, and the vet will often give antibiotic cover to prevent complications and it going further. It is contagious though so you will need to tell the vet when you book an appointment.

#3 ·
Ok I don't have any honey in the house.

I have some Benylin original for chesty coughs. Someone mentioned they had given the dog cough mixture for a few days and the symptoms went. so was wondering if that would work to get us through to Monday morning?

She was just retching twice a few seconds ago I tried warm milk to see if that would ease her throat as I daren't risk the Benylin if adult formula is not safe for dogs. Would it hurt her if I could get her to lick a spoon with a small dose on to ease her 'sore throat' symptoms?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.