Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Gulp bowls

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by decoratedlady08, Dec 24, 2011.

1. decoratedlady08

decoratedlady08 PetForums Member

Hi
    can anyone tell me if these gulp bowls are any good. My 5 month rottie inhales his food rather than eats it. Ive never seen anything like it. I have tried all sorts too try and get him too slow down but its not working. He also has a terrible possessive attitude too food that takes longer too eat (turkey wings, bones etc), i am slowly getting him too let me take it if i wave liver or chicken in front of him, then he gets it back if he takes it gently from me. i hold it for a few seconds first and talk to him then leave him.
    my other two boys will let me walk up too them take away and walk away with it and wait till i bring it back no problem. So im not sure if the way Rasta behaves is ok. or if what i am doing is making it worse.

Caroline

2. Roobster2010

Roobster2010 PetForums Senior

I got one from betterware for my springer Ruby because she used to, as you say, inhale her food. Timed her once & it took her less than 12 seconds to finish her meal. Absolutely fantastic invention. Slowed her down tremendously. It only cost £6.99 & was well, well, well worth the money. They only come in one size from Betterware though & you might need a bigger size for a rottie unless you divide her meal into two portions.

Also, waving food in front of your dog in an attempt to stop it being possesive over other food won't work I'm afraid. Your rewarding unwanted behaviour & I fear this will just make the resource guarding much worse.

3. decoratedlady08

Thank you
    I will go ahead and buy one for him then.
    As for the exchange of food i was using this method as i read somewhere that too take something you give something more interesting or rewarding in its place so they slowly learn that letting go when asks usually means something good is coming in return. but i wasn't sure as you say it is like rewarding his possessive behaviour. i will keep researching till i can find another way too resolve this situation. As i want too be able too take anything off him when i ask. You never no when he might have something dangerous and i don't want a fight on my hands with a full grown rottie in 12 months time.

4. Dogless

Dogless PetForums VIP

Before I switched to raw feeding I used a Greedy Gulper from Fish4Dogs; it was fantastic.

5. Snoringbear

Snoringbear PetForums VIP

I use Brake-Fast bowls, they are very good.

6. Blondie

Blondie PetForums VIP

Nearly all mine are greedy beggars and wolf food down, lol, I have never used anything other than the bog standard stainless steel bowls, lol!

Our Maddie used to be a right bugga with food agression and we worked hard to stop it. She gets fed last, I make her wait when I've put the bowl down and she cant stick her nose in till I've said so. We worked hard on taking bones off her too, even the kids can do it safely with all ours, thats the way we wanted it.

Even now, if they g et chicken wings, Maddie runs off somewhere quiet to chomp on hers, away from the others, lol! :rolleyes:

You will get there, just persist in ya training, pup will learn you are the boss of food too! ;)

7. lucylastic

lucylastic PetForums VIP

Another yes vote from me. I have the brake fast bowl and it really slowed my dog down well.

8. kaz_f

kaz_f PetForums VIP

They are really good. Money well spent IMO.

9. Tigerneko

Tigerneko PetForums VIP

Another vote for gulp bowls!

I've never had to use one but I recommended one to a friend who said her dog ate far too quickly and she said it was the best thing she'd ever bought :)

10. decoratedlady08

thank you everyone for taking the time too reply. i will look up the different bowls and see if it makes any difference. He is raw fed so only some of his meals will go in it.

11. happysaz133

happysaz133 PetForums VIP

I put two big rocks in my dogs bowl when I first got her. Worked just the same and no buying bowls :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice