Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Gull with broken wing! Please help!

Discussion in 'Bird Health and Nutrition' started by Rose Wilde, Aug 14, 2019.

1. Rose Wilde

Rose Wilde PetForums Newbie

Two days ago I found a black-headed full with what I think is a broken wing. The wing exactly isn’t droopy but it keeps flapping the injured wing in and out (like, constantly) and doesn’t seems to be able to fold it away properly.
    The gull still seems to be quite alert although it hasn’t been flying, and did NOT like being put in a box/carrier. I didn’t want to stress it out even more so at the moment it’s just wandering around my bedroom.
    I couldn’t find any worms yet but I read they also eat fish so I’ve given it two prawns a day which I cut up to make them easier to eat. I’m not sure how much black-headed gulls eat but I was scared to feed it too much because the internet said something about not giving birds food in case you accidentally feed them the wrong thing or too much.
    I also gave it a little water (another thing the internet said to be careful of) but I’ve given it a little more today because it doesn’t seem like it’s in shock any more.
    I’m still going to try to find some worms for it to eat, and I believe black-headed gulls can also eat seeds, anyone know what kind of seeds it might like? I might have this gull for a while so I need prepare to feed it for around six weeks or more while the wing heals.
    I don’t think the wing will heal unless I wrap it so today I’m going to put some honey and gauze on any wounds it still has and bandage the wing. Any advice on this?
    Also, since this bird lives in a colony, any advice on eventually releasing it? Should I go to a coastal or wetland area and release it where there’s already a black headed gull colony? Will it integrate with its fellow gulls?
    Also, it seems to be very enamoured with its own reflection. It keeps staring at my mirror! Is this normal?
    Also, it has its winter plumage right now, is that normal for August?
    Any advice would be gratefully received, thank you!

2. Rafa

Rafa PetForums VIP

If the gull has a damaged wing, it needs to be seen by a Vet.

If there is a Bird or Wildlife Sanctuary in your area, you could give them a call and ask for their advice.

Two prawns a day is nowhere near enough food for a large bird.

You really do need to ask advice from someone knowledgeable on the subject.

3. Rose Wilde

Sadly can’t afford to take the bird to vet. Contacting my nearest wildlife rescue was my next plan! Haven’t had a chance to go yet but I’m really hoping they will be able to get the bird healthy enough to fly and rejoin a colony.

The reason I haven’t been feeding it a lot is because I was warned about feeding birds when they’re in shock. Now it’s a lot more active so I’m gradually feeding it larger amounts of food. It’s eaten a few insects too and is drinking water.
    By the way, black-headed gulls aren’t large birds, they’re actually a very small species of gull!

4. Rafa

Rafa PetForums VIP

Under current legislation, Vets have to treat an injured wild bird, at no cost to the person who found it.

A Bird Sanctuary would be the best place, as they will know exactly what to do.

5. Rose Wilde

From what I have found out, vets aren’t legally obliged to offer treatment to wild animals. Maybe they might check the bird over for free?
    I’ll contact the local wildlife rescue tomorrow and hopefully they can offer the bird treatment. Since the break/fracture doesn’t seem to be serious (there’s no bones sticking out or blood) I think all it will need is a wing wrap and plenty of rest while it heals.
    Fingers crossed they can offer this curious little bird some help!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice