Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Guinea Problems - more fights and a runny nose.

Discussion in 'Rodents' started by hazyreality, Jul 2, 2009.

1. hazyreality

hazyreality PetForums VIP

Well, bloody Sullivan has managed to be nice to Sidney for about 2 months but it appears that the 2 have been fighting a bit tonight. Sullivan has got a bite on his nose, a bit of a cut on Sidneys ear. Have taken the wooden house out so they can't fight over who is going in that, will just have to keep an eye on them I guess. Never have I had so much trouble with male guinea pigs, and I didnt until I got Sullivan! I dont want him to have to live on his own, I dont like the idea of getting him neutered, and I havent really got room to keep him and Sidney if I have to seperate them.:(

And then I look in with Ben and Franklin and Ben has got a runny nose :(, its not affecting him, he's eating, drinking etc etc but its just a bit runny. Again guess will keep an eye on him and if it gets any worse take him to the vets, but I dont see any point in stressing him up taking him unless it gets any worse, its just a sort of sniffle now. Franklin hasnt got anything wrong with him.

Has anyone had a guinea with a runny nose? Did it just clear up? What was wrong do you know?

Aggghhhh.... I have never had any problems with Guineas in the past, lived to a ripe old age, no fights, nothing, and these last 4 have been the opposite!:eek:

*Heidi*

2. Neza

Neza PetForums VIP

A runny nose for a pig is a signs of upper respiratory tract disease. He could be reacting to the substrate.

3. sullivan

sullivan PetForums VIP

Id take your gp to the vets to be checked its not a good sigh in a piggie to have a runny nose. Can i ask out of interest why you wouldnt neuter one of your males ? Is it your personal preference. I had my boy neutered and havent looked back he lives with his girlfriend . Although there nearlly 5 so getting on a bit now.

4. hazyreality

I dont like the idea of getting him neutered because of the risk and the stress that it causes, i dont think small animals(rabbits, guineas) should be put through it unless it is truly nessesary, I have always just kept same sex pairs, up until now I havent had a problem with it

I will change the bedding in Bens hutch to shreaded paper/newspaper if it could be from the shavings(I have a rabbit who is allergic to shavings) and keep an eye on him to see if he needs the vets over the weekend or if I can take him first thing monday morning, he doesnt look ill at all, and its not as runny today as it was yesterday.

*Heidi*

5. Neza

Neza PetForums VIP

I'm glad you are changing the substrate, poor thing with a runny nose, I hope it works and fast. :)

I've only ever kept female cavies and I've never had a problem. I wouldn't want to have to neuter a male either.

6. hazyreality

have changed the bedding over now, so I shall see how it goes. I had a rat with a resp problem, and Ben isnt showing the same symptoms as Jack, he isnt wheezing, sneezing, off his food, nothing, he just has a little bit of wet in his nose. I was wondering if they can actually get hayfever? He is still bossing Franklin around :p
    *Heidi*

#6 hazyreality, Jul 3, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2009
  7. Neza

Neza PetForums VIP

Yeah, they can get it, it's an allergy and pigs can be allergic to hay. Not a good thing since they need to consume it to survive.

8. grinder

grinder PetForums Newbie

I was told boars together will fight if they can smell a female nearby.

9. Fleur

Fleur Vassal to Lilly and Ludo

Sorry can't really help, as I've only ever had females.
    I hope you can sort them out.

10. sullivan

sullivan PetForums VIP

Can be a problem thats why you should always clean out your males before your females so the female scents not on you that the males can smell. Boars can start to be funny with other males as the become mature and a few cannot be housed with other males at all. Generally if you neuter one they seem to settle down a bit.

11. hazyreality

I always clean boys before girls in the shed, thats the same for the buns aswell. They dont have a hutch near Nala, and they cant see her, so I dont think it is her that is causing the problem. I am going to move her into the boys smaller hutch tomorrow and thoroughly clean her hutch to put the boys in so they have more space, hopefully with a bit more space they will calm down. The hutch they are in was supposed to be temporary, but its been a bit longer than expected. Nala is a old girl now who only moves to get food or water really, or to move into a sunny bit! so she wont mind too much!

Ben is not really any worse but I think I will take him to the vets to be on the safe side tomorrow, get him checked out.

*Heidi*

12. Neza

Neza PetForums VIP

Please keep us informed of the vet's diagnosis.

13. hazyreality

Update on Ben: Turns out it wasnt coming from his nose, its coming from a big cut on his nose, which is most likely to be a bite from Franklin, but I dunno at the moment because they seem to be ok whenever I see them. He got poked and prodded and the usual thing, Baytril twice daily for 10 days, Hibiscrub 1-2 times daily dependng on how it looks, probiotics on some food once a day - he had apple and he has eaten it tonight, what a good boy!

I really dunno what I am going to do about the other boys tho, I moved them into the bigger hutch today and Nala into the smaller one. The bigger hutch already has Hope the rabbit(waiting for attack like I would get in Rabbits) in it who loves guinea pigs, he has been with them since he was 8 weeks. Anyway, not only is Sullivan an a******e with Sidney he keeps trying to hump the rabbit! Hope just sits there, doesnt worry too much about it but I do feel sorry for him!

I might really have to think about rehoming Sullivan, there are no guarantees that neutering will help him with Sidney and I havent got room to seperate them and put him with a girl. If he doesnt calm down in the next few days, I dont think I have alot of choice :( the breeder I got him from(also where I work sortof) will take him back to rehome him, she offered before. Its such a shame because he is a character, and pretty too!

*Heidi*

14. Neza

Neza PetForums VIP

That's too bad you might have to give up Sullivan, things are definitely getting chaotic for you, so sorry about that. I hope Ben's cut heals fast, that's sad that it turned out to be that. Boys will be boys, huh...

15. Luvdogs

Luvdogs PetForums VIP

Hope everything works out :)

We had our male neutered, and he settled down lovely with his fellow cavy friends :)

16. hazyreality

Yeh, everything is going mad! I think Ben should be ok, I'm glad it was that rather than something from his nose, which could have been a lot harder to treat. As you said boys will be boys.
    As for Sully I have tried virtually everything, he wont live with any of the 3 boys I have got, and as I said, I just havn't got the room to keep both seperate - its a horrible decision on who should go but at least Sidney gets on with the rabbit ok. I might manage to persuade mum to have him in a indoor cage up the house, my room would be too hot for him(loft conversion)

*Heidi*

17. Neza

Neza PetForums VIP

Poor Sullivan, that's too bad. I wish there was some advice I could offer to get him to live with the others, but it sounds like he might really be a lone wolf kind of cavie. :(

Hopefully your mom will go for that idea, keeping him in your room. I keep my two pigs in my bedroom, I have good ventilation and climate control though...

18. hazyreality

He would be ok in my room in the winter, only problem is my boyfriend has a bad cough(which I think is asthma, but he wont get it seen to!) and its gets worse around animals in the house(i guess the dust from woodshavings etc), we have a covered area which we call a concervatory but its not cos its fence 2 sides, windows one and wall the other with the clear roofing(with the bars in to help with heat) and I am hoping she will let him in there, dad wont like the idea but if mum says yes then its two against one and he doesnt bother that much!

Will keep you updated! Thanks for all the replies Neza.

*Heidi*

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice