Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Guinea Pigs

Discussion in 'Small Animal Chat' started by Mags4eva, Jul 31, 2009.

1. Mags4eva

Mags4eva PetForums Junior

My Guinea Pigs are home! They r very sweet and obviously v. nervous as is expected! How long should i wait before starting to put my hand into the cage and how long should it b untill they don't run away as i come into the room? On average? Xx

2. sullivan

sullivan PetForums VIP

Id give them a day or so to get use to there surroundings then build it up so they get use to your voice and your hands going in and out with yummy treats for a bit. Then gradaully scope them out and place them on your lap in a towl just give small gentle handling you may find there better if you hold both for security if you get some one to help putting them on you. Little and often sessions im sure there come round. Guinea pigs do scamper away for a bit at first but it wont be long before they come up call you and want to see what you have. Good luck.

3. Mags4eva

Mags4eva PetForums Junior

Thanx 4 advice! The other fing i was wonderin was wen they do scamper away from me wen i'm tryin 2 pick them up should i try and get them? Obv not chase them round cage and try and grab them but should i try and pick them up wen they do scamper off from me?Xx

4. sullivan

sullivan PetForums VIP

Mine scampered at first and odd times still do. I tend to try and get them into a corner so not to chase them about and then cup them until you can get hold of them securly and then give them a hold etc. When placing them back into cage/hutch do it rear end first then they wont jump away from you when getting near there cage, Pm me if you need any more advice will help if i can. Teresa Will send a friends request.

5. Fleur

Fleur Vassal to Lilly and Ludo

How lovely you have your new Guinea pigs.
    They are great pets.
    Do you have any pictures?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice