Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Guinea Pig Questions.

Discussion in 'Rodents' started by jaxx, Aug 18, 2009.

1. jaxx

jaxx PetForums VIP

I am currently thinking of getting a Guinea Pig. I've looked after Guineas before and they were a big part of my Animal Care course which I did 10 years ago. lol But after owning rats I realise there is much much more to owning an animal than looking after them once a week at college. I thought I was doing everything right etc but after joining a rat forum I realised how little detailed knowledge I had for looking after my rats and any common health problems that might occur. When I first owned my rats I had them on sawdust and was feeding them reggie rat. I now know the error of my ways and wouldn't like to make the same mistakes with a guinea.

So I thought I'd ask here first about Guinea Pigs as I've alwasy wanted one ever since I was a kid. But I would like to know about different breeds tempraments, ideal hutch size, whether keeping one on it's own was ok or would it need a companion? What dried food is good for them (I know they can't produce vit c so need leafy greens and veggies etc), what bedding would be best for them, how much handling do they need, any health problems they're prone to etc. And any other info that might be helpful for a happy healthy guinea.

Many thanks xx

2. Jazzy

Jazzy PetForums VIP

Well we have ten guinea pigs, eight in four large hutches in the shed and two that I have as indoor piggies because they are the oldest and the female doesn't get on with other piggies and tends to bully them so I keep her seperate. For a pair of guinea pigs you need at least a 4ft hutch or better still 5ft. You are better getting two if you can and in my opinon two females because males can fight when mature although a lot of people have males that don't but I always buy females if I want them to live together. You are better getting them out of the same litter if you can. I feed mine on Gerty guinea pig but it's quite expensive and not really worth the money so I'm going to be looking round for a cheaper food I think.

One thing that guinea pigs really need is hay - it's about 80% of their diet so very important that they always have a fresh supply of hay. I also use hay for bedding. Don't use straw because it can damage their eyes. I use wood shavings on the floor of the cages but covered mostly with hay. Guinea pigs can become very tame if handled everyday although it's not strictly necessary as I have tame ones that aren't handled every day.

They do need some sort of run that they can go in daily but under supervision in case of predators like cats or foxes. They love nothing better than munching on grass although make sure it's where no other animals have fouled or that the grass hasn't been sprayed with anything.

Can't think of anything else but any more questions just ask.:D

3. jaxx

jaxx PetForums VIP

Many thanks for that. I'm still thinking about it. Plus I live in a first floor flat so they'd have to be indoor piggies. The only grass I have access to is in my mum's garden next door and she has a dog.

4. Jazzy

Jazzy PetForums VIP

Well as long as you give them a good quality hay they would be okay and maybe you could pick them a bit of grass if you know of any where other animals haven't been.

5. pets-life

pets-life Banned

Hi there,

I'm sure you'll find all the answers to your questions in the articles here. Good luck.

Pet Guinea Pig Articles

6. Jazzy

Jazzy PetForums VIP

7. sullivan

sullivan PetForums VIP

My piggies live in in winter and use to run around my dining room for a bit of exercise. But mine also really like tomatoes and they do a weed mix in some pet shops. Mine also lkike bananas and melon and sweecorn. The other thing is a guinea pig as well as a ferret are the only animals that can catch the human flu virus so be careful around them if poorly. They also love company are better kept in the ciompany of others. Mine use to like a odd bonio to knaw on and a odd apple tree branch as long as its not been sprayed with anything. our old play house was ideal for my 2 piggies but more room for them. i know its harder as your in a flat so space will be more of a issue.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice