Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Guinea pig off his food?

Discussion in 'Small Animal Chat' started by Callyq, Sep 7, 2019.

1. Callyq

Callyq PetForums Junior

Hello everyone :)

I’m just back from the vets with my 4 year old guinea pig, Chewy.

He went off his food yesterday - he wouldn’t eat any veg and his hay was hardly touched from the night before.

He had a damp bum last night which he’s never had and I thought perhaps he’s feeling under the weather and hasn’t bothered to clean it? I thought maybe an infection or something wrong with his teeth?

After checking him over last night I could’ve SWORN I saw 2 tiny yellowy looking maggot on his skin so of course I panicked. I picked them off and couldn’t find anymore but mentioned it to the vet as I was panicking he’d got flystrike. The two of us searched for ages but couldn’t find any more.

He’s been given an anti inflammatory injection and a spot on type treatment. He didn’t seem worried and I probably over reacted but better save than sorry? Something must have been up for him to be off his food?

I’ve also got some recovery liquid feed to give him to keep his intestines going but he’s just started eating cucumber as I type this.

Sorry for the long winded ramble, has anyone had any experience of this or know what I might’ve seen? Is he going to be ok? I’ll be keeping him close to me for the rest of the weekend now and checking him regularly for any more signs of maggots.

I should add he’s a lone piggie, his cage mate died 2 months ago. He lives in a room with 2 other bonded males and has a lot of interaction with me when I’m not at work but this is also a worry of mine that he’s alone for a large part of the day :(

2. kimthecat

kimthecat PetForums VIP

@Callyq Hi , How is Chewy now ?

Damp bums in guinea pigs can be due to a UTI .

Is he drinking more , they are prone to diabetes.

3. Callyq

Callyq PetForums Junior

Hi @kimthecat

Chewy sadly passed away on the 11th.

Another trip to the vets later as he hadn’t improved and the vet wondered if he had something wrong with his teeth, she couldn’t see the back ones because there was a lot of food there? Or she thinks it could’ve been something more serious.

It also wasn’t flystrike, it was lice. I’m not really sure why I didn’t think it was lice in the first place, I think I just panicked.

At least he’s a peace now. And with his cage mate, who I know he missed dearly.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice