Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Guinea pig constantly squeaking

Discussion in 'Rodents' started by Maltey, Nov 25, 2012.

1. Maltey

Maltey PetForums VIP

My mum's guinea pig keeps squeaking constantly.
    He lives with 2 other piggies and gets on fine with them. Mum will give him treats, cuddles everything but he keeps squeaking.
    I've checked him over and can't see anything wrong with him but I'm not a piggie expert so I might be missing something.
    I've heard it for myself- it doesn't seem related to anything it's just constant.
    Is he just vocal or is there something we're missing?

2. android22

android22 PetForums Newbie

I'd say he's just vocal as that's just their way of talking to each. But they're also quite attentive to certain sounds, such as the fridge opening or their food bag being opened, too which they get excited about being fed and squeak all the more.

3. sharon.mackay

sharon.mackay PetForums Junior

I have a piggy like this, he is extremely vocal and he chats away to me constantly. It's very sweet :D

4. elisabeth

elisabeth PetForums Newbie

Squeaking (wheeking) is one of the most common sounds that cavies make - it means excitement, anticipation, reaction to the owner in general or expectation to be fed. Maybe someone nearby is rustling with bags, which is a pretty consistent turn-on for a wheeking sound :) (cavies are really good at associating sounds to events - they hear plastic bags, they think FOOD :)
    You can check the sound you describe with these guinea pig sounds and further learn the meaning of them.

Hope this helped!

5. Maltey

Maltey PetForums VIP

Well I'm glad it's nothing. Mum's had a few piggies and they've made sounds every now and then but this is constant so I was just a bit worried. Like I say it doesn't seem to be related to anything- even when he's out in the garden we can hear him if the windows are open and we're not there to be rustling anything to make him react. But if he's just chatty then I'm happy with that :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice